Super long delay (20-30 seconds) when opening viewports in paper space

Guest EnvisionMan

Guest EnvisionMan

I just upgraded from v2008 to v2012, and so far love the improvements. However, there is one thing that is frustrating me. I don't use model space to do my editing once the job is done. Instead, I go to each individual page (paper space) that needs editing, and double-click on the viewport that needs editing, and work in model space that way. So I am jumping back and forth from page to page quite a bit, finishing up the last notes/details.

In AutoCAD 2008, this command was very fast... when I would double-click on the desired viewport, it would open that model space within a second or two. Now with 2012, every time I double-click the viewport, it takes about 20-30 seconds to open the model space. If I click anywhere on the page (While waiting) the (not responding) message comes up at the top of the Autocad page.

This seems to be an issue with regen, which is automatic. Is there something different about 2012 that forces a different regen than 2008? Or is it something else entirely? This is getting very frustrating... wasting 5-10 minutes every work session I start.

Guest EnvisionMan

Here is my system:

Dell XPS L702X

2nd Generation Intel Core i7-2620M processor (2.70 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.40 GHz) dual core (virtual quad core)

8GB,DDR3,2 DIMM

NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M 3GB graphics with Optimus

1.0TB 500GB 7.2k HDD x 2

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

Guest EnvisionMan

Also, on my Task Manager, acad.exe is reading 957,108 Kb. That seems awful high. Maybe not? My drawing is only about 2 MB in size, and is just 2-D. Some hatching, but not a lot.

This was never a problem with AutoCAD 2008. My laptop is only about 11 months old... it should be able to handle this program (I think).

Guest EnvisionMan

I am running normal stuff... nothing I didn't run before. Here are my top running programs:

acad.exe - 133,524k (this jumps up over 900,000 when I double-click my viewports)

chrome.exe *32- 86,144k

chrome.exe *32 84,740k (not sure why this comes up twice... I only have one Chrome open)

Outlook.exe *32 51,196k

SignalIslandUi.exe 35,996k

Hours4.exe 30,664k (this is my Job Timer program for keeping track of my time)

explorer.exe *32 24,892k

csrss.exe 16,804k

and then a bunch more under 10,000k

Chrome is a resource hog. Kill Explorer, Chrome, and Outlook. Then test. Report back with the results.

Another option. You can email me your drawing and I'll test it on my desktop system using AutoCAD 2011 and/or 2013. I don't have 2012 loaded on this computer.

Waited as long as I could for your response but having seen none I guess I'll call it quits for the day. I hope you find a solution to your problem. Good luck.

Edited by ReMark

Whats LAYOUTREGENCTL set to?

When LAYOUTREGENCTL is set to 1 or 2, additional memory is used by AutoCAD keeping a cache of layouts when switching tabs.A value of 0 keeps the memory footprint down as it forces a regen every time you switch between tabs. Refer to the help files for more information.

That said, given the specs of your machine, this should not be a problem