stainless steel material

dreamer

stainless steel sink.jpg

Both two are presented in Realistic Visual Style.

The one on top is colour ByLayer (colour 9), the bottom one is in material stainless steel. I find the colour Bylayer appears better. How do I change the stainless steel settings as to improve the material presentation?

They both appear having the bowl bottom in darker shade and I fail to make the joint lines vanish.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dreamer

• ReMark

• Bartjacks

• JD Mather

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You'll never get "best results" until you actually render the file for output. Tiny alterations to the visual perspective of the working file are common.

ReMark, I couldn't find anything wrong with the geometry.

StykFacE, strangely that I always get "much" better result with Realistic Visual Style than Render and this sink has no exception :unsure:. Can you please elaborate "Tiny alterations to the visual perspective of the working file are common" ?

Thanks.

Since you cannot union the two sections of the sink then something is off. Either you will leave it as is and live with the seam or you will find and fix the problem which will allow you to union the objects and get rid of the unsightly lines. The choice is entirely up to you.

looks like something imported from a Vendor Website, those are the worst to try and manipulate. wouldnt it be easier to just trace it and make it yourself just the way you want?

Bartjacks, what gave you the idea that it was imported from somewhere?:reallymad:

bowl.jpg

ReMark, the Planar Surface and the Sweep parts "Unioned". Is it because the upper part is kind of solid that's why can't be merged?

Why would you create a sink using a solid for one portion and a surface for the other? Any attempt to union the entities should result in the following message from AutoCAD:

"At least 2 solids, surfaces, or coplanar regions must be selected."

You have one of each and you are trying to union them. It won't work.

my apologies for offending you dreamer, i did not mean to(peace offering), it just looks like the surface modeling stuff that vendors have out there because of the surfaces and made a wrong asumption. but I agree with Remark on the Why Q. why not make both solid and utilize a fillet where your sweep is?

Barjacks, I am cooled. 8)

Now I've made the 3 entities all in surfaces (on the right). Can't tell the different in Visual Style, the seam still there.

bowl.jpg

make both solid and utilize a fillet where your sweep is?
I'll try to make them in solid this time but how to do the fillet in this instant?

Thanks.

"Shell" the solid fails - Remove top face, Offset 1.2mm

I got this message: Modeling Operation Error: No solution for an edge.

Edited by dreamer
sent too early

"Shell" the solid fails - Remove top face, Offset 1.2mm

This might all go faster if you attach the dwg here.

Like the others - I don't understand why fooled with surfaces for this design?

Also, have you added any draft angle to the sides?

JD Mather, without experiencing, I'll never know the difference between the two tools.

I am now doing it in solid but "Shell" the solid fails - Remove top face, Offset 1.2mm

stainless steel bowl.dwg

purple bowl.jpg

Hi my friends. I got it now. Thanks for all your help.

One similiar question, would you use also solid to do say car body panels?

I think I would use solids but I can only speak for myself. I'm not saying that solids would be the preferred way of doing it.