scaling block location on a viewport...

chauncy274

Ok guys, I got something that is stumping me and I'm hoping for some help from the cad guru's around here.

I have about 10 instrumentation enlarged plans that are drawing in model space and all the equipment text and instrument bubbles and blocks are in paper space.

All of the drawings are at 1/4" but they are getting loaded down with too much info, so we are cutting each of them into twenty drawings instead of ten. While I can change the view port very easily and scale it up accordingly, after I do that I will have to re arrange the text and blocks. I'm looking for a way to scale the blocks and text in a way to where it will change the location of the text and blocks, without actually changing the size. So I bring the drawings up from 1/4" = 1'-0" to 1/2" = 1'-0". If I scale all of the blocks up by 2, it will put them in the right location, but all of the text and blocks will be too large. I could select them all and change their scale down in the property palette, but I would still have to trim down all of the leader lines going from the instruments to their bubbles.

Long story short, is there a way to scale a block or text from a basepoint to where if you scale it, it will change it's location, but not the scale of the block or text?

I hope I'm explaining this well enough.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Isn't "scale" the wrong word to use here? You want the text size to remain the same; it's the location of the text that has to change.

Yea, you're right, but I was thinking of it in terms that I wan't the location to move according to the scale, so I'm thinking of it as scaling the location (whatever that means, lol). Basically I want the blocks and text to move into their new place on the drawing after the scale of the viewport has been corrected, without changing the size of the blocks or the text.

Yes, I understand what you meant. I just don't think of it as a "scaling" problem per se since some things will not change in size only in position.

Yea, but I'm looking for it to change in location by the same scale factor as the viewport will change, so I think of it as scaling in my head.

I might be going about it incorrectly, and that's why i can't find a solution, lol.

I can't just scale it though, cause then the text will be 6/32" tall instead of the appropriate 3/32" and the blocks will be twice as large as they need to be. Normally I would just change the viewport scale and move everything around accordingly, but there are roughly 1000 instrument bubbles and probably just as much text that I would have to move and I'm thinking there has to be an easier way.

There are custom lisp routines that will scale blocks based upon their insertion points. Would that be of any help?

Check out this thread for a lisp routine that scales and moves text.

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?49418-scale-text-and-Move-text-in-the-angle-of-its-orientation

Edited by ReMark