+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Newbie
    Using
    AutoCAD 2009

Default use of Layer 0 in blocks while retaining some layer management abilities

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Hello all. I've never posted here before but I've been reading posts for the past couple years and just wanted to thank you guys for all the help you've been.

On to my question: I'm aware of the intricacies of layer zero, and the general rule-of-thumb to draw content inside of blocks on 0 so that the block takes on the properties of the layer it is inserted onto, can be isolated, etc.

I generally follow this rule, and where required, I change the line color inside of the block when I want to maintain a certain lineweight. (lineweights based on my plot settings for colors). My dilema is that i've got an intricate block. I'd like to be able to manipulate this block in a way that you'd isolate layers and change their properties. Is there any way to isolate a portion of lines inside of a block while still maintaining them either on layer zero or another (magical) sort of "transparent" layer?

As an example, i'll use the classic "existing", "proposed" door block. i'll draw the door, swing, and jamb all on layer zero. I will set the the swing portion red and dashed so that both existing and proposed swings appear the same. the door itself will then take on the properties of my existing and proposed door layers, respectively. Now say i'd like to edit my block. I want to isolate the swing portion and color it by layer. (obviously the example is lacking here since it would be easiest to just click on the arc) Can i group items inside of a block, or better yet, can i create a second layer and somehow edit the layer's properties so it is "dynamic", "transparent", or "magical" like layer 0?

Thanks for any help!

Computer Details
    SLW210's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 PRO
    Computer:
    IBM Lenovo
    Motherboard:
    ACPI x86
    CPU:
    Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5500 @ 2.80GHz
    RAM:
    4 GB RAM
    Graphics:
    Nvidia Quadro 600 1GB
    Primary Storage:
    300 GB
    Secondary Storage:
    650GB
    Monitor:
    ThinkVision 24"
    Discipline
    Multi-disciplinary
    SLW210's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Design Draftsman
    Discipline
    Multi-disciplinary
    Details
    Mostly do drafting related to manufacturing. From doing site layouts with proposed updates, additions and renovations to be budgeted and submitted for bid, to updating and changing existing drawings to reflect maintenance and repair/revision work done on site.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2011

Sounds like you might want to consider having the block a seperate drawing and xref it into the drawing.

You may also want to consider a dynamic block with visibility states.
    “A narrow mind and a fat head invariably come on the same person” Zig Zigler

Using
    MEP 2014

Other layers can be used in blocks. You don't have to limit yourself to layer "0". Let's use your door block as an example. In my example, it has a door, a door swing, and the jamb. For a floor plan you want to see all that so it is okay to put them all on layer "0" and insert it on A-DOOR-NEW and it takes on all the properties of that layer. For the RCP you may not want to see the door and the door swing but you do want to see the jamb. If the door and the door swing were on different layers, they could be frozen or turned off leaving just the jamb visible.
    I draft in Revit with a black background.

Forum Newbie
    Using
    AutoCAD 2009

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Thanks guys. I'm gonna take Rob's advice and go the route of making new unique layers for the components of the block. Basically, the block is a proposed underground stormwater retention system. The system has several components (like hdpe pipe) that are also present outside the system. I've made separate layers for those types of components so that they don't show up when I isolate the rest of the piping in the drawing. It adds a few extra layers, but I think it's the cleanest method for future manipulation.

I would have certainly done this as an xref, but our office has a habit of archiving things and changing the reference location of overlaid files (if they're not in the same folder) and really makes it difficult to go back to the drawings after the projects are completed (separate issue. I'm working on that, too).

I'm also going to look into visibility states, this sounds very useful. thanks again