Installing ObjectARX wizzard for 2012. Visual Studio not present??

muck

When I try to install ObjectARX wizzard for autocad 2012 (64 bit) I get

VS 2008 or VS2010 must be present on target machine. VS 2008 is installed

on my machine. So what is the problem here?

Thank you,

After downloading the installer, did you 'unblock' the file before installing? :unsure:

If not, Right Click, select Properties option, then hit the Unblock button. Hit Ok. Try installing again.

HTH

I unblocked the file I had on my mahine and it still did not work?

Seems like I am having all kinds of problems getting VB.net to work with 64 bit

AutoCAD 2012? AutoCAD VBA for 2012 (64bit) does not work.

Seems like AutoDesk has taken a big step backwards on their

new products.

• 1 year later...

Hello BlackBox .

Thank you so much for your reply and trying to help me with this . :)

What Visual Studio do you have installed?

What AutoCAD .NET Wizard did you attempt to install?

This is the Program that I installed with the Dot.Net Wizard

Untitled-1.jpg

It really is unfortunate that it is this confusing for new developers... As I successfully downloaded and installed both Visual Studio 2012 Express (before it was deprecated for 2013) + AutoCAD .NET Wizards (2010-2012 + 2014) earlier this year... Guess that's why I frequently see the recommendation to spend a year learning to develop .NET for Windows (outside of AutoCAD) before jumping into AutoCAD .NET development.

I would point out though, that the AutoCAD .NET Wizard is not at all necessary to develop for AutoCAD... Just handles a few convenience factors, really. You can still setup your own, custom templates.

Thank you guys for time and replies .

OMG I have installed the .NET Wizard after restarting my computer . and it is fine now :)

Now where can I find these templates and how to use them ?

Another question please , how to connect Visual Studio with Autocad ?

Please bear with me guys .

Many many thanks .

OMG I have installed the .NET Wizard after restarting my computer . and it is fine now :)

Sorry - I assumed that you had already tried that, following the installation of Visual Studio.

Now where can I find these templates and how to use them ?

Launch Visual Studio, and select the desired language, etc.:

original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

Another question please , how to connect Visual Studio with Autocad ?

I believe you mean 'debug'... This is one of those convenience factors the Wizard provides, as Express OOTB does not support a Startup Application, etc. within the application, whilst one can still manually configure this.

In any event, one way to debug is to hit the play button, another is to right click the desired project (solutions can have multiple nested projects), and then select Debug, Start New Instance.

HTH

I believe you mean 'debug'...

Hi.

Not debug :( for example when you write a code in VB.net how can you load it in Autocad ? and what is the extension of the VB.net that Autocad can load to run the code ?

Many thanks for your replies BlackBox :)

I have forgotten all I learned but as BB won't be here 'till after the US wakes up I'll try to remember.

When you press play a dll will be created and AutoCAD will start. The dll has to be NETLOADed into AutoCAD. Once that has loaded you can type the command name and it will run. Add breakpoints into your code and you can step through.

Note however, you can't make (many?) changes to the code. If your change requires recompiling of the dll you have to exit AutoCAD to ensure the dll gets removed from memory. You cannot APPLOAD the same dll.

Note however, you can't make (many?) changes to the code.

To expand on this statement a bit:

Visual Studio offers an "Edit and Continue" feature that does allow some code modification whilst debugging. The caveat, however, is that it only works with 32 bit installs. :cry:

To expand on this statement a bit:

Visual Studio offers an "Edit and Continue" feature that does allow some code modification whilst debugging. The caveat, however, is that it only works with 32 bit installs. :cry:

just when I get my 64 bit machine.

Thank you, I didn't know that but must have been vaguely aware when I was only using 32 bits.

I have two development setups:

A two monitor, 64 bit tower.

and

12" 32 bit laptop with SSD.

Even though the laptop is capable of speedier development overall, I almost always use the desktop. I must be getting claustrophobic, or mildly blind, because the expanded real estate is more important.

I've grown accustom to Edit and Continue's absence; it forces more attention on early code renditions.