Link an ECN Number in a Rev table to EPDM (Solidworks)

stevsmith

I'll keep this simple for now.

We would like to enter a revision table into a drawing, then enter an ECN number within that table that has a hyperlink to a spreadsheet located in our EPDM.

Is it possible.

When you are inserting a table in a drawing you have the option to insert an Excel based table. It sounds like you might want to format your excel file to be the table. You can link your global variables/equations to an external file.

How is the spreadsheet populated?

I'm not looking to populate the rev table from a spread sheet Matt, more so just to provide a link to it.

Basically the revision table in the drawing will contain a brief description of the change and the hyperlink will open the excel/word file to allow the user to see a more in-depth explanation of the changes made to the drawing.

that shouldnt be a problem. You can make a hyperlink to a text box. When add a "note" under the annotation tab in the properties under "Text Format" there are a few options for linking. The first icon with a globe and chain link will allow you to add a hyperlink. From there you can either enter a www. or browse to a file location. Im honestly not sure how this will work with PDM since you have to log in. Spreadsheets I don't believe need to be "checked out" so it should work fine.

Let me know if you have trouble finding the hyperlink format area and ill snap some screen shots.