View switch with viewcube slower than view toolbar

easyscaff

Dear reader,

I notice that switching the views for example from the top to -swiso will take much more time when using the viewcube instead of the view toolbar.

In the task manager there is no processor activity when using the toolbar, the switch is almost instantaneous. However, when using the viewcube the processor activity burst upwards and the transition is much slower. But the command line shows identical commands. Probably the viewcube operation just "imitates" the command to the command line.

For big 3D assemblies this is nasty, because the viewcube also generates some flashing of the background color.

Has anyone got an idea why AUTODESK couldn't make the viewcube behave like the toolbar button ? Or how I could change settings for better performance.

I have been using AUTOCAD for 23 years.

Thanks for your comment !

I also use the toolbar (of course), I was just wondering why the processor behaviour is completely different for identical "visual" commands on the command line.

easyscaff

They are not identical.

When using toolbar I get:

Command: _-view Enter an option 
[?/Delete/Orthographic/Restore/Save/sEttings/Window]: _swiso Regenerating model.

When using ViewCube I get:

Command:  Regenerating model.

Welcome to the forum.

I never use the VIEWCUBE, as I want the UCS to be changed, thus enabling me to work in the perspective chosen. Another way to do the same thing as the viewbar is using the VIEWPORT CONTROLS in the upper left hand corner of every viewport. In fact I should probably stop using the VIEW toolbar, and just use that option, as it also incorporates the VISUAL STYLE and a few others including the option of PARALLEL or PERSPECTIVE, which I usually access from the right click menu of the ORBIT command. I don't think too many people take advantage of it, but that is just speculation on my part.

Hello SLW210,

Discovered some differences between workstations, some behave like you told, also AUTODESK seems to have improved the viewcube performance in 2012.

With this version the view switching goes faster than the toolbar button. Tried this with average 3D model assembly of 4 MB.

Thanks for your answers.

easyscaff

Viewcube is awesome. I use it all the time. :)

If it weren't so slow and clunky in 2011, I would use it. Glad to see they fixed it in 2012.

If it weren't so slow and clunky in 2011, I would use it. Glad to see they fixed it in 2012.
I will still admit that the performance of using the Viewcube is definitely not as good as the preset Views and Isometric Views buttons in the Views Toolbar. Rkent has a great custom toolbar setup that he showed us in another thread where he arranged the Views and Isometric Views buttons in a 3x3 icon grid in a way that simulates the Viewcube layout, but much much quicker.

Probably the reason I like the Viewcube so much is because I'm versed in other applications very intensely. Navisworks and Revit, and the Viewcube is basically your only option in those programs. So that's probably where my bias comes from. :)