how to represent different materials

escobar147

Hi, im drawing a wall section of a building on cad, the wall consists of outer brick, wall insulation & breezeblock.

is their an industry standard way to represent these materials? for example a certain type of hatch pattern that should be used?

also, how should i represent the wall insulation?

thanks in advance

Any good architectural drafting/design book will be chock full of examples of exactly what you are looking for.

Wall insulation is typically drawn using a "batting" type hatch pattern. Familiar with that term?

In the U.S. you might want to see what the AIA recommends or visit your local library and take a look at a book entitled "Architectural Graphics Standards".

ReMark, i have seen that hatch type before and i assumed that might be the one that is used to represent insulation, however, i only seem to have it as a line type, therefore how do i use it to fill the walls in my drawing? thanks for your help btw

I guess you wanted that as a hatch pattern and not a linetype.

Take a look at this thread.

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?34348-Batt-Insulation-Hatch

Don't forget to look at post #44 too. It's on the last page.

AutoCAD comes with a hatch pattern called Insulation but I would tend to use something like that for polystyrene or polyisocyanate types of insulation not fiberglass. I'm assuming you wanted something to represent fiberglass insulation. Am I correct?

You could still use the Batting linetype that AutoCAD has simply but drawing your line down the center of the wall. You would have to experiment with the linetype scale to get the batting to fit just right. It's not all that difficult.

As you can see, there are many ways to do the job. Pick the one that works best for you.

You could learn to make your own hatch patterns, there are some programs that will make custom hatches and websites that sell hatch patterns.

Express Tools has SUPERHATCH

SUPERHATCH works like the hatch command, but it allows you to use an image, block, xref, or WIPEOUT object as a hatch pattern.