Data Link Tables compress and change text size when updated

numberOCD

Hi there,

I decided to try the advice I read and start using Data Link Tables for my Excel sheet instead of OLELinks. The appearance is far sharper, and I am also pleased there is no background color transfered. What IS the problem is when I update the table, its goes from 12" Wide by 12" Tall table @ 7/16" Text W/O borders back to 3" Wide by 10" Tall with varying text size to fit and gains back all borders except diagonals (of which none are present on the Excel file).

So I need to figure out a way to default the format when I refresh so that it holds each cell at the 6"X1" dimensions with no border.

With that, If there is a way to have a stencil for making the range links with Excel, that would be useful. I use the exact same 4 or 6 ranges (2 formats) in every dwg.

Thanks Everyone!

A stencil? I think you mean your own table style. And the answer is "yes". It's the same process as creating a custom dimension style and using it in a variety of drawings. One option is to put this new style on a tool palette. The other option would be to drag and drop it from the Design Center.

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been trying the table format but that seems to only work on a fresh table, not an imported table; at least from the process I've been trying this morning. Could you elaborate a bit on this formatting?

Your original question was how to create a new table that would be of your own style. Now you want to edit an imported table?

Post a drawing with a copy of this imported table so we can take a look at what you are working with.

Junction Box R120 - Standard.zip

On this case, I am inserting E6:F29 from Sheet R120JB. on the dwg, the table to the left is how it imports initially, the table to the right is how I want it to turn out: 7/16" tall text, 1" tall x 6" for each cell.

The no borders an text type seemed to work from the table type I created. The Row and Column count would be constant.

Thanks

You can edit the height and width of the table's cells using the blue arrows that you see when you click on any part of the table.

You can change the height of the text in one cell then use the Match Cell command found on the Cell Styles panel to change the contents of the other cells.

Bottom line...yes, you can make the table on the left look like the one on the right. It's just going to take a bit of effort.

How did I learn all this? I consulted AutoCAD Help. Too many users overlook this feature of AutoCAD.

Oh, I understand the method of editing the table; I made both of these. I was trying to find how to hold the form in updates, assuming an annotation style would achieve having control of cell size and text size. I AM finding that in MEP 2013 it is holding itself fine during updates, so I will have to update my trainee's edition to avoid this problem.

It will hold itself just fine if you don't go unlocking the cells. I've never experienced a problem with a table resizing itself nor changing text height.