Best way to view in 3D?

Epicurwin

I was wondering what way people view their models for coordination in 3D? I find having the model shaded helps me see collisions but I also get my view obstructed by walls and such. Is there a way you can "get into spaces" like in Navisworks? I guess I could just turn off the architecture Xref but you will still run into situations where you have structure or some sheet metal blocking your view of the collision.

In later versions there is a very nice visual style called XRAY which is a really nice way to see through obstructions, and gives a pretty good overall view. I can't see any reason why you couldn't set this up in 2009.

X-RAY visual style.jpg

I was wondering what way people view their models for coordination in 3D? I find having the model shaded helps me see collisions but I also get my view obstructed by walls and such. Is there a way you can "get into spaces" like in Navisworks? I guess I could just turn off the architecture Xref but you will still run into situations where you have structure or some sheet metal blocking your view of the collision.
Yes, the best way I've found is to have a split workspace. At the very least do a 2 Viewport Modelspace setup, where one Viewport is in Plan View and the other is in a rotated 3D View. In the rotated 3D View, type 3DW at the command line to invoke the 3D Walk tool. You can then use the W, A, S, D keys to literally "walk" through the model like a first person shooter game. It also enables a clipping mode so you don't get stuck zooming in a billion times on an exterior wall or something, haha. Check it out, it's very neat and although I like the Navisworks Walk tool much better, it's SO convenient to have an option like this in AutoCAD. I can't tell you how many years went by that I wished a tool like this was available.

More info here: http://exchange.autodesk.com/autocad/enu/online-help/search#WS1a9193826455f5ffa23ce210c4a30acaf-519b.htm

*EDIT* Also, when the 3D Walk tool is active, right click anywhere in the drawing area and choose the "Walk and Fly Settings" to adjust a few things exactly how you like them.