Text style changing when opening in different computers!!

Dear all,

I work in an office where many people open the same file..the drawing was done with all the dimensions and text set to swiss cn bt but now after the file was opened again by different users from different comoputers...the text now appears differently each time...to some it appears as arial others somethin else..:geek:

how do i fix this...i don want to individually select each one and change it back to swiss cn bt...and wen i do select indivisually and change it..the height of the dimesnion gets very small and becomes non editable..

please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!:oops:

You all need to have the same fonts available, either on the network, or loaded onto each of the computers. The software substitutes another font if the one used is not found.

it is not that...swiss cn bt is a font available in all the versions of autocad...when i open the file..its now showing arial...wen earlier i had set it n swiss cn bt.

Have you set up a specific Text Style called swiss cn bt with that font specified? and then a dimension style specifically named?

If you rely on the standard dimension style and standard text style, then those can use whatever text font the user chooses. :?

I am not sure if anyone understood my problem...the porblem is not the availabiltiy of font...the font is there on all the versions..

it is just that the darwing was done in swiss cn bt dimension style with height 20, then anther user opened the drawing and added more to it but did nothin with the font...now when the drawing is opnened in any computers it apperas differently on each computer...

our dimension style is set to swiss cn bt on all our drawings...none of the other drawings are having this text change porblem it opens fine on all computers..could htis be a virus porblem...

how do i cahnge all the dimensions back to the desired font and height...without individually selecting ech dimension...

The TEXTSTYLE sounds like it needs to be synchronized on all of these drawings.

and/or

Try selecting a few of the dimensions first as a test, then in your right click shortcut menu, select DIMSTYLE and set appropriately in the dropdown menu.

If that works, then you can do it to all of the dimensions.

Edited by Dadgad

I am not sure if anyone understood my problem

If you were to post a file (containing only a few relevant lines and dimensions) and let members of the forum try themselves, then an answer might become apparent.

Otherwise we have to guess :?

Set a text & dimension style as you want. Select all dimensions you want to change and then apply the previously set styles to them. It should work. Remember to set text height in text style to 0.00 and to set a required height (20 in your case) in dimension style, taking into account overall scale too.

PS. The guy who change the drawing probably has no swiss cn bt and autocad replace it with default one without even him knowing about that.

Have you checked the properties sheet for one of these errant dimensions to see which dimstyle they actually have assigned to them?

You do know that all you have to do to change the dimstyle for all of them at once is to select all that need changing at the same time, then either from your right click menu, or the dimstyle dropdown on your menu bar or ribbon, simply click the correct dimstyle. Selecting all the dims at once is easy if they are all on their own one and the same (uh oh!) :o layer. Just freeze or OFF all the other layers first.

I can tell you who made the changes. Notme changed them. :lol: I bet you will find a dimstyle just like the correct one, except that it is annotative, and Notme let this copy default to the 'Standard' text style. Notme is a good reliable coworker, but he will never let on how the stuff occasionally gets screwed up. Dimstyles live in the drawing where they are born, so whoever opens it next has to live with the dimstyle or its modifications within that drawing.

I can absolutely without qualification tell you, that unless all of your software, (AutoCad, and any word proccessing programs) on all of your computers is exactly the same release and it was all installed from the same set of CDs or downloads at the same time, and all of it has had every update run on them, there will be differences in the font files, the driver files, the dll files, and the ini files.

AutoCad comes loaded with a lot of fonts, but it also uses all the Windows and MS fonts you have when it is installed.

I have two computers here at home, a laptop and a PC. Both came loaded with Windows Vista, and MS office software with all the TT fonts in the world at the time. I have AutoCad LT 2009 installed on both of them from the same set of install CDs with all the updates run on both of them. They are one year apart in age. One has swiss721 cn bt and a hand full of varients, and the other one has swiss cn bt and one or two varients. Your dimstyle won't look right on one of thes computers and Notme will try to fix it.

Edited by Dana W

If your dimensions are not on a dedicated layer you could use the FILTER command to select them easily.

In my experience, and I don't have a clue why, use of the right click shortcut menu DIMENSION STYLE dropdown will fix some issues,

even if PROPERTIES reports that dimension styles are already the same.

I suspect Dana is right on target, on all counts.

Should this become more than an isolated incident, and if teaching Notme, fails to solve the problem, you could always use

STANDARDS and a .dws (just make sure that it wasn't created by Notme).