How can I properly size my images for materials?

stormist

Perhaps this question can best be explained by my current example.

I have created a cylinder:

Radius 55

Height 55

Height Segments 5

Cap segments 1

Sides 25

I am creating my images from vectors, so I can size them how I want. What size would my image have to be to fit perfectly on the outer sides of this cylinder? How is that calculation computed and does 3ds max offer any tools to assist in this?

__

On a related question, say I wanted to hightlight a 3x3 area of polygons so that I could apply a material to this segment. How would I determine the pixil size of the highlighted polygons so that I could set my image to that same size?

Is there a way to determine size attributes of a selection? (in this case, the selected polygons)

Thanks for any assistance it is much appreciated :)

Your Profile says AutoCAD 2010 and you ask about 3DS Max tools, are you doing this in AutoCAD or 3DS Max? Sounds like a 3DS max question to me, so I have moved to 3DS Max forum.

Your Profile says AutoCAD 2010 and you ask about 3DS Max tools, are you doing this in AutoCAD or 3DS Max? Sounds like a 3DS max question to me, so I have moved to 3DS Max forum.

obviously it is a 3ds Max question since autocad does not work with segments bla bla bla.. continuing...

Perhaps this question can best be explained by my current example.

I have created a cylinder:

Radius 55

Height 55

Height Segments 5

Cap segments 1

Sides 25

I am creating my images from vectors, so I can size them how I want. What size would my image have to be to fit perfectly on the outer sides of this cylinder? How is that calculation computed and does 3ds max offer any tools to assist in this?

__

On a related question, say I wanted to hightlight a 3x3 area of polygons so that I could apply a material to this segment. How would I determine the pixil size of the highlighted polygons so that I could set my image to that same size?

Is there a way to determine size attributes of a selection? (in this case, the selected polygons)

Thanks for any assistance it is much appreciated :)

i hope you are using actual real world units if this is for an architectural/mechanical.. purpose..

to set real world units go to customize.. then units setup..

continuing..

apply a uvw unwrap..

and then go to the editor.. and arrange your cylinder parts seperate from each other..

render the map..

take it into photoshop/any photoeditor..

and move your desired map over the area you want it to cover.

i'l consider making a video tutorial upon request if you provide the maps & file,

about selecting 3x3 segments.. i assume it is already an editable polygon..

so just select your segments.. detach them..

then link them to each other from object A to B and from B to A that way when ever you move the objects they will not separate..

now select the objects you want to apply the material to..

apply the material..

then add a UVW map..

if it's an autodesk map.. then mapping is simple.. just turn on real world map size.. and it will look adequate..

if your using your personal map..

then just make sure real world map size is OFF and edit the map size..

to edit it you must click on the UVW map modifier to see the editable parameters.

once your done.. you can simply attach the objects back together to allow for the use of other modifiers like bend twist etc..

I apologize for the miscategorized posting, thank you to the moderator for moving it!

Raudel, thanks for your awesome reply!

I am floored by your offer to (possibly) do a video tutorial. Thanks so much for even considering it. I am attempting to apply the spinner symbols to a slot machine. On my attempts thus far I have attempted to create a multi sub object, then selected the individual polygons, then applied a material modifier with the material ID. The material is extremely off center though so I normally try to adjust it by the tiling and angle values but since I have already converted it to bitmap it ends up looking distorted. I have included the vector spinner as well as my project file here:

http://tradeseerpro.com/files.rar

This is for a game so there are no specific measurement requirements. The cylinder size or any other attributes can be freely modified if you think that would be best.

This 3d modeling stuff is awesome. Once again thanks for your time! I will be playing with UVW unwrap now.

Edited by stormist

VIDEO tutorial created :D ...

Rendering and uploading & will be live on youtube soon.

@Cad64 or anyone..?

The tutorial was a complete success except this..

Do you know what causes this?

i have isolated this to a viewport issue and not a material issue.

this issue disappears once a light is created that shines on that area.

i would like to not have it at all.

This has to do with viewport lighting or something and does not pose a problem if proper lights are created.:glare:

Capture.jpg

+++++++++++

UPDATE

________

++++++++

Video will be live AT

around 2 AM Central time U.S. / Canada .. 5/2/2012

@ 1920*1080

Original @ 1600*900

Man THANKS so much! Awesome tutorial. I'll do my best to direct people to your channel. Are you interested in any freelance work or general 3d discussion? Do you have a gmail I can reach you at?

Man THANKS so much! Awesome tutorial. I'll do my best to direct people to your channel. Are you interested in any freelance work or general 3d discussion? Do you have a gmail I can reach you at?

Gmail: raudelsolis@gmail.com

Education : 3ds Max 3 years, Currently a student.

I got an educational 3ds max license which does not allow me to do any "For profit" jobs. I might be purchasing a 3ds Max license this summer.

@Cad64 or anyone..?

The tutorial was a complete success except this..

Do you know what causes this?

i have isolated this to a viewport issue and not a material issue.

this issue disappears once a light is created that shines on that area.

i would like to not have it at all.

This has to do with viewport lighting or something and does not pose a problem if proper lights are created.:glare:

Is that where the image tiles? If you post the model, and the material, I'll take a look, but if it only appears in the viewport, and not in the render, I wouldn't worry about it.

Are you interested in any freelance work

Yes please. :D