best method for creating a 2D p/line for NC routing from 3D solid?

ZedEverett

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZedEverett

• Dadgad

• ReMark

• SLW210

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not really sure what you mean about correct setting of UCS? I created the model initially in top view . All the parts to be cut on the NC router have to be aligned to top view UCS thus the use of 3D Align.Havent explored posting .dwg files on here yet.

I'm very surprised to hear that, sorry that didn't put you back on the tracks, Iwas pretty sure it would. :huh:

Thinking about this, what is your UCS?

It sounds to me like your UCS is not set correctly.

SOLPROF is meant to project your lines onto the XY plane in your viewport.

If in modelspace you look at the solprof blocks from left or right, you will see that they are not crooked.

Might the orientation of your model be an issue? It needs to be parallel to your UCS.

Are you able to post you r DWG here, or representative bits from it?

OK ,here is a part of my model I am making.Just checked the polyline that BPOLY creates against the original(the copy was exploded) and notice that it the polyline from BPOLY is slightly bigger than the original 3D object.WTF! I am only talking 0.06 and 0.006mm distance and the object is to be cut out of plywood ,so I am not too worried ,but never the less it puzzles me still.It seems the damn monkey is reloading for another barrage! LOL

model4Cadtutor.dwg

Edited by ZedEverett

Time constrained right this second, not really looked into this yet, but viewed from FRONT you can see this powder blue solid is not parallel to the XZ plane, as referenced against an XLINE.

misaligned in modelspace.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Just had a breakthrough with BPOLY (boundary polyline command).Its been freezing my program and I usually have to use Task Mangler to close CAD.Grrrr. Someone on here mentioned that CAD has to calculate a lot of data when BPOLY command is happening, and as I had many 3D objects involving different layers, I decided to turn off all layers,while creating a new layer called BPOLY. The object i wanted to create the boundary polyline from, would be temporarily changed to BPOLY layer ,leaving all layers off. BPOLY works a treat after that ,counting of course its 3D aligned to an object created in TOP View UCS.

Sooo...my recommendations of generating closed polylines for NC routing from solids is ; orientate solid to TOP view UCS using 3D Align/explode twice/delete all unnecessary lines on the exploded 3D object other than the bottom or top geometry/PEDIT/multiple/'yes' to polyline creation & 10 value/create layer BPOLY/change layer of geometry to BPOLY layer/ qsave/turn off all other layers/BPOLY and the rest is plain sailing. I dont think I have forgotten anything,but let me know if there are any other suggestions.

Edited by ZedEverett