complicated 3d object

floriosh

Hello,

I am a beginner in Autocad and am trying to teach myself how to work in it. Right now I am creating a replica of an wardrobe from Ikea. I want it to be exact and thus have found some problems.

Anyone who has built an Ikea object has seen these two parts that go together.20120502_094811.jpg

The screw was ok to make. My problem is with the round head. I do not know any method for doing it. It has these holes in it that I do not know how to make. And I can't even make a simple figure without the holes.20120502_095805.jpg

Please help me find a way to do this, a method of some sort.

Thank you!

20120502_095741.jpg

20120502_095732.jpg

20120502_095815.jpg

20120502_095755.jpg

20120502_095827.jpg

Do you really require this level of detail?

Could it be done in AutoCAD? Yes, but not without a lot of work. Maybe you can start with a cylinder then create the holes and pockets by subtracting a properly shaped object. You are not going to be making this piece of hardware simply but extruding a profile.

What about just the basic figure,without the holes,just the shape needed for the screw to get fitted? Any ideeas? For the holes I think I would need to work with mesh but that is very complicated.

Also...is there a way to make objects move in autocad...like in inventor? I will have to make the hinges from the doors of the wardrobe and find a way to make the doors move(open and close)

Yes, I think you could very well make the basic shape of the object you have shown using solids. To get more precise detail perhaps working with a mesh would be better as you state. You'll have to consider whether or not it is worth the amount of time and effort it would take to create the part.

Hey!,I did it, even though it's not a perfect replica of the two,it worked.surub 3.jpg Now I would like to know how to make an animation out f the two. Is there any way of making them move on a specific path?

surub 2.jpg

...is there a way to make objects move in autocad...like in inventor?

Sort of http://au.autodesk.com/?nd=class&session_id=9238 but is a bit difficult to figure out just from the document. I have to see demonstration to really grasp this technique.

...but why not use a modern tool like Inventor for this project? Students can get Inventor free here http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity

Thank you JD Mather for the link with the course. I found the lesson very useful. As to inventor,I already have it,it's just that,as a I said before, I am teaching myself how to work in autocad and would like to stick with this program for the moment until I evolve a little. Anyway...for now it's been great! If I have any other questions I will refer to you.:D