Does size really matter?

otsaki

:D tittle is funny, but my question is, does the size that i draw in autocad matter? or can i scale it before i print it to the size i really want it? please help!

If it matters, how can i decide the sizes in autocad?

Yes it does.

Draw all your model space objects at FULL size. It doesn't matter if the object is a paper clip or the space shuttle. FULL size.

Then make use of a paper space layout and viewports. It is the viewport that a scale is assigned to.

Have you looked at the Paper Space tutorial here at CADTutor?

http://www.cadtutor.net/tutorials/autocad/paper-space-exercise.php

Its a 2d model, and lets say its a circle shape. If i draw it in small version and i want then to plot it out on paper bigger, do i need to remake it? or there is the scale that can solve this?

Did you even read my post?

Draw the circle FULL size. If it has a diameter of 5mm then draw it that size. If it has a diameter of 1500 meters draw it that size.

ReMark, sorry dont get pissed on me, im a newbie, a real newbie in this domain, thats why i asked, my problem is! i dont know how to decide the 1500 meters or 5mm diameter.. :| i dont even know how to know to set a "frame on my screen for A4" for example.. all is big in my autocad i dont have margins in my autocad.. so i dont know how to refer. But sadly i made everything in small dimension, that means i must remake it? or is there a way to trick it and size it as the normal size? Tell me exactly what to do how to decide everything because now i think its inch all.. i must do it in MM

I'm not mad at you so let's not go down that road. OK?

Model space is infinite. That's why you can draw the smallest to the largest objects you can imagine. AutoCAD doesn't care.

One unit in AutoCAD can be equal to anything you want. It can be equal to 1mm, 1cm, 1m, etc., etc. etc. You decide.

Have you at least started with a metric template? Some people mistakenly start off with an imperial template and find out only after they have expended much time/effort that they used the wrong one.

Have you gone through any of the tutorials here at CADTutor?

Keep in mind, you are NOT drawing as you would on a drafting board where you have to "scale" everything.

I will review them, but im really out of time, i am not here to learn autocad, because i wont use it in the feature, i will just need to finish a shape and plot it, that's all. Later i'll hire people if there is more work needed, but now low buget so i must do it by myself. I will show you my work after its done, and maybe pay you to fix it in a bigger version, or make it properly.. you will see what i talk about its very basic stuff, thats why i can do it. I'll keep you updated once i have something to see

Hey, JD Mather!

No its not a class assignment, its a project i am willing to create by free will. I'll soon update you guys with my latest progress and i will tell you my final questions for the project to be done.

I'll leave here some of my questions, tho once i am done they will be more clearly.

1) Once i am done with my project i will need to reproduce it on CNC. I am not sure if anyone is familiar with CNC (Computer Numerical Control) in short, its a machine that works with X,Y,Z that can do many things, like reproducing shapes in medal, wood, etc.

Now, since i am new to AutoCad... for my CNC, i need the exactly values of my project done in AutoCad in order to "plot them" with CNC. How can i determinate them, all the infos needed for me to be able to programate in CNC to be able to plot it.

As JD Mather told me on another topic was to use LIST. And i did it, and its pretty good information out there, so that might be it, but to be 100% i'll ask again, also i used SPLINE FIT, to draw some parts of my project, and arcs. For arcs i get the radius etc information, but for SPLINE FIT, i get points:

SPLINE    Layer: "0"
                           Space: Model space
                  Handle = 2f4
                          Length: 20.5476
                           Order: 4
                      Properties: Planar, Non-Rational, Non-Periodic
                Parametric Range: Start   0.0000
                                    End  20.5016
        Number of control points: 6
                  Control Points: X = 231.9404 , Y = 394.0004 , Z = 0.0000
                                  X = 232.5873 , Y = 391.0316 , Z = 0.0000
                                  X = 233.7294 , Y = 385.7910 , Z = 0.0000
                                  X = 236.0320 , Y = 379.1223 , Z = 0.0000
                                  X = 238.8326 , Y = 376.5282 , Z = 0.0000
                                  X = 239.8981 , Y = 375.5413 , Z = 0.0000
            Number of fit points: 4
                       User Data: Fit Points
                                  X = 231.9404 , Y = 394.0004 , Z = 0.0000
                                  X = 234.0984 , Y = 385.0856 , Z = 0.0000
                                  X = 236.9227 , Y = 378.6601 , Z = 0.0000

Is this what i need?

Thank you for the help guys, great respect for everyone! Anyways looking forward to show you what i've done so you can evaluate. Cheers

I would use lines and arcs - no splines if possible.

If using splines I would use a CAD/CAM software like MasterCAM to create the g-code for CNC.

I see, hum... problem is that i used splines in some parts of my project, they were needed... or atleast was easyer for me to reproduce what i want. About MasterCam i will review it soon and see what i can do with it! Thanks again in advice.

About MasterCam i will review it soon .....

These programs are professional programs and deserve (require?) a professional level of preparation.

It takes months to years of training and experience to "review" them. You stated you weren't interested in learning AutoCAD, but would hire someone to do this work. I recommend that you take your own advice and contract this job out to a professional.

Either that, or make the committment to sign up for some training classes and learn the programs.

I am curious about your design intent for this project. Originally you asked someone to model commercially available sun-glasses, yet what you posted here later looked more like something I would find in a cerial box intended for children. Exactly what is your product design intent.

Knowing the full problem description might improve the help offered here. I originally stated that the sun-glasses design you were after was not an easy design and you indicated that you didn't understand why I would say it was difficult. I am glad I didn't take the time to actually model something as it now appears you are after something much different than your original problem description.

What is your design intent if your purpose is not to learn the software?

Its a shape, a punching shape as a final product. But now its just a damn image:p that needs to get life on the CNC :P. My point is, how much will cost me to get the G-Code ? if i send you my actual work? Or how complicated is to learn how to create the G-Code? The sunglasses are almost done i think, not much left. They are done from Arcs and Spline Fit. They look pretty good and as much as possible less points, so i keep it simple. Now G-Code for CNC left, any idea with MasterCam? i get some errors while installing it, but Gcode2000? how is it?

Punch shape - now that makes a bit of sense - you should have included that information in your original post.

Your punch is not at all what I envisioned when you asked how to draw a specific brand of sun-glasses.

Any CAM program should be fine for this simple punch shape.

Who is going to do the actual machining for you?

Do you have CNC machine?

Assuming you don't have this machine (as you don't seem to know much about programming it) just turn the file over to the shop that is doing your part. It will take them about 5-10 minutes to create the g-code (unless you have left out other important information).