AutoCAD 2013 does not open some DWG files from LT 2009

Hello Everybody

I have just upgraded to AutoCAD 2013. Now I have one AutoCAD 2013 and five copies of AutoCAD LT 2009. A strange problem started occuring after starting using of AutoCAD 2013. Quite a lot of files done with LT 2009 are not opening in AutoCAD 2013. When you try to open this file, nothing happens and a blank new drawing is opened by AutoCAD 2013.

I have DWG TrueView from release 2010 to 2012. These files opened perfectly well in 2010 & 2012. So I downloaded DWG TrueView 2013 and installed it to check whether my AutoCAD 2013 installation was faulty. These files do not open in DWG TrueView 2013 also.

I tried exporting the file to DXF in LT 2009 and then tried to open the DXF file in 2013. It gave a message that it could not read the file. The odd fact is that it is not happening with every file done in LT 2009. Some open and some do not. Also tried recovering the files - nothing happened.

In my opinion, this seems to be a serious bug in 2013. Any body else experiencing this? I have attached the problematic file in http://www.wikisend.com as the file is larger than 1MB. I do not know how to link this here. The file name is:

Does not open in 2013.zip

Waiting for replies

With best regards

PRSS

As has been stated previously on the forum, while there are some nice new features and improvements in 2013, it has a disturbing tendency to 'not play nicely' with some of the older kids (file types & platforms). Beware your dynamic blocks from previous versions will lose their dynamicism when opened in 2013. :wink:

Really looking forward to some fixes from Autodesk.

Hard to believe that such an advanced piece of software couldn't handle 4 year old files generated by in-house software, eh?

I enjoy using 2013, but am sort of trying to quarantine it from older file types.

Edited by Dadgad

Hello, Thanks to everybody. File could not be downloaded from http://www.wikisend.com. I have uploded the same file in AUGI Forum with the same posting.

The link is here: http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?139208-AutoCAD-2013-does-not-open-some-DWG-files-from-LT-2009

Please help. I have paid subscription this time when I upgraded. It allows me to use older version by downgrading rights and still use the current version

concurrently on the same computer. Should I downgrade to AutoCAD 2012?

Please help.

With best regards

PRSS

Until such a time as the numerous issues have been sorted out in 2013, I personally suggest that 2012 would be your best choice. It is rock solid, has VIEWBASE functionalityfor creating associative 2D representations of 3D Solids. You may want to change your SAVE preference in OPTIONS to an earlier version, as the default type will be 2010, which is fine when you are working on them, but could be problematic for you coworkers on 2009, although if they all have DWG Trueview 2012 loaded on their machines they should be fine. The advanced functionality of VIEWBASE can be read by DWG TRUEVIEW 2012, which means that you could still use it and share your drawings with your coworkers, without sacrificing that very nice feature.

Just for information, I tried inserting your file as a block into AutoCAD 2013 and each time it crashed. Funny enough though I did get a drawing preview when I selected it for opening and when I tried a normal open I got the same results as you.