Dynamic Block Stretching

j4jason83

I am trying to make a block that I can stretch. The end pieces (gusset block) never change size. The only piece that needs to stretch is bar that connects them. The gussets are always on a 45 degrees. If I stretch it over 5 inches on the X axis, it should move -5 on the Y axis.

I have been playing with it all day with absolutely no luck. I am hoping someone here might know the trick to making it work.

Thanks.

Angle.dwg

You can locate your stretch parameter on a 45 degree angle and stretch along that axis (1st method in video below) or you can place the stretch parameter horizontal or vertical, and add an angle and offset multiplier of 1.414214 (1.41421356 is the cosecant of 45 degrees, and also the square root of 2) I personally prefer the 2nd method so I can use the properties palette to size the dynamic block by it's horizontal/vertical distances.

Demo

Wow thank you!! Is there anyway that I can have the one leg move down the Y axis? The reason I ask is that I have the base point set at 0,0 so I can put it in the corner of the 2 I-BEAMS. Then I would like to be able to enter in the distance that I need this part to be. Just like you did in the distance.

Is that possible or not?

Absolutely. Just put two stretch actions on one linear parameter.... one stretches to the right (90 degrees) and the other stretches down (270 degrees)

Thank you! I had been trying to make that all day. I could get one side to move. I didn't have my base points set correctly and didn't put in there the 270 degrees.

I am still learning how to use parameters in blocks, but have been able to make a few simple ones.