Create a 3D solid object from a space bounded by surfaces

luckyvictor

I am just start learning AutoCAD, and I am not too sure whether is it possible to perform the following operation.

Basically I have drawn some lines, arcs and splines in the 3D space, then I created surfaces between these lines, arcs and splines, thus I created an 'object' which is defined by all these surfaces.

And what I want to do now is to fill up the empty space and basically convert it into a 3D solid object.

Another example would be a loft 'object', and it creates only a surface, so may I somehow fill up the empty space and turn it into an object please?

Drawing2.dwg

Edited by luckyvictor
file attached

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• PALynch30

• luckyvictor

• Dadgad

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for replying, but I don't think this is the solution I am looking for.

If you don't mind, please have a look of the example I just uploaded.

In this example, I have created a cone liked shaped, I don call it a cone because I want the surface to be cut, like a diamond.

So I have created its skeleton, with lines and circles, so I can create regions to 'bound' a space.

And now my question is may I somehow fill up the empty space to make a 3d solid object please?

In your first post you said you created surfaces. I took you at your word. You asked how you could convert it to a solid. My answer was appropriate.

Judging however by your drawing you did not create any surfaces at all. Your choice of words was misleading.

My new answer is use a CONE primitive.

3D Solid Cone.PNG

Your object is on the left in white. Mine, a solid, is on the right. I assume that is what you were looking to create. Yes/No/I don't know for sure?

Thank you for your quick response. Perhaps this cone is really not a very good example to illustrate my question. Thus I have spent some time to create another object.

Please have a look.

In this one, there is '3D' object (I was trying to make any cross section non-uniform, but I think it should be able to illustrate my question), but it is really an empty space bounded by several surfaces.

So may I fill up the empty space bounded by these surfaces to create a true 3D solid object please?

I know in AutoCAD, there are several ways to work with that gives you the same result, so I am hoping there is a function that to fill up a space, as I imagine sometimes this way is easier and more intuitive.

Thanks for your time again

Magic mushrooms? :shock:

I am guessing that the OP might be looking for faceted edges connecting the perimeter vertices, based on the diamond analogy, although this appears to be a logical progression from the starting image provided.

But this does look nice ..... can you see them? The trails I mean ..... :D

they should all be surface (planar).

I don't know the official definition of surface and solid defined by AutoCAD, could you mind to explain it please?

Dadgad:

Since you have a better handle on this than I seem to have I will defer to you in this matter re: faceted edges.

Something does not seem right with the geometry in the second drawing that was posted. I'm speaking about the far left-hand end of the object.

In order to create faceted geometry you would essentially want to connect the vertices of the triangles.

An easy way to do this, starting anew, is to use the POLYGON command.

Read the commandline prompts and you will be guided to creating the shape of the base of your solid.

Define a point to describe the apex of your faceted solid at the appropriate distance and dead center over your base.

Once you have that you can use the LOFT command terminating in a point, and you should be good to go with your faceted solid.

Hope that helps. :)

In order to create faceted geometry you would essentially want to connect the vertices of the triangles.

An easy way to do this, starting anew, is to use the POLYGON command.

Read the commandline prompts and you will be guided to creating the shape of the base of your solid.

Define a point to describe the apex of your faceted solid at the appropriate distance and dead center over your base.

Once you have that you can use the LOFT command terminating in a point, and you should be good to go with your faceted solid.

Hope that helps. :)

Thank you for your reply.

However, let say I have the situation like the example in the attachment file (I don't whether I should use surface, since there is a question about surface and solid, and now facet, but I am using this to show my problem/question).

I have created several surfaces, and in the 3 dimension space, these surfaces enclose a closed space, and so now I am looking for a solution to fill up this empty space to turn it into a real solid object.

Regarding to your polygon approach, seems like it can only create a regular shape, so this solution doesn't seem to be able to apply to a general situation.

If you open this drawing you can trace the steps I took to create the faceted solid in blue.

Lofting to a point did not create the flat planar faces I thought it would.

In this example I created a triangular prism and sliced it to create the basic shape of one piece of the diamond.

I then arrayed it around to create 8 identical pieces and then UNIONed them to join them into a solid. :)

faceted solid.dwg

"I have created several surfaces, and in the 3 dimension space, these surfaces enclose a closed space, and so now I am looking for a solution to fill up this empty space to turn it into a real solid object."

3Dsolid from surfaces.jpg

It's a solid now.

So all you really did is knocked off the curved edges of a cone.

Exactly, turning them into flat facets, like a gemstone, if you will.

I never use surfaces, always model solids, so I would be the last one to help with that.

While your model might look funny mounted on a ring, no doubt its creation would provide many valuable lessons and insights. :beer: