Xref Lag

TRhoads

First time poster, but long time AutoCAD user...

Version: AutoCAD 2004

Problem:

When working with an xref background, we are experiencing really bad lag, and delays when working with objects that are drawn on top of an xref. I have restarted the affected computers, restarted the server that all files are housed on, upgraded the network switch...with no results. Tasks that should take fractions of a second, are sometimes lagging anywhere from 3-15 seconds depending on what layers of the xref are un-frozen and visible.

Any help would be great. This issue seems to be getting worse, and varies depending on files, and it is really starting to slow us down.

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TRhoads

• ReMark

• SLW210

• JRauch

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is happening across more than one computer in the office, my station is a Windows XP Dell Workstation Dual 3.2 GHZ processors with 4 GB of ram, the other station experiencing the issue is roughly the same specs with 4gb of ram. The server is roughly the same too, a little less ram, 2GB IIRC.

What are the graphics card specs? Is Hardware acceleration on or off?

Do the xrefs contain any Civil 3D or other non Basic AutoCAD objects or third party created objects?

I think the problem is more than likely in the XREFs. I've seen that happen when there is one attribute that is not associated with a block. Sometimes TTFs can cause the same type of behavior.

The drawings you are working with are on the network right? Have you tried downloading one to your desktop and working on it from there?

I think the problem is more than likely in the XREFs. I've seen that happen when there is one attribute that is not associated with a block. Sometimes TTFs can cause the same type of behavior.

I am wondering if it is something along the line of an object in the xref, this issue is sporadic, and does not happen with each file or every xref. We only use one font so I don't think it is font related.

The drawings you are working with are on the network right? Have you tried downloading one to your desktop and working on it from there?

I just tested it, copied the files to my desktop, same result as working over the network. I un-referenced the title block, and only had the drawing file and the xref.

To clarify, the SAVEFIDELITY variable should have no effect on drawings unless you're using or coordinating with someone who uses a version that predates annotative objects (AutoCAD 2007 or earlier). The real culprit here might be annotative objects with too many scales defined, but changing this variable could solve that.

He is using AutoCAD 2004.

Good catch, my apologies. Since I blew the first idea, I feel compelled to offer some more:

Are there objects at crazy elevations?

Are there curves or splines that are made up of a zillion vertices?

Are there objects created by a more current version or a vertical product that were then saved back to 2004?

Was the XREF created in house? Can you post the XREF?

It is a new file, created in house from a blank template, I use our standard tags, but nothing from the outside world has been added. I will see if I can figure out how to load it here.

Have you tried running Audit on the troublesome Xrefs?

Yes, no change. 1 error was found, but no change to XREF response.

Could it be a pathing problem? Or, could it be there is some element of the xref that AutoCAD is searching for in its attempt to load the drawing?

To clarify, the SAVEFIDELITY variable should have no effect on drawings unless you're using or coordinating with someone who uses a version that predates annotative objects (AutoCAD 2007 or earlier). The real culprit here might be annotative objects with too many scales defined, but changing this variable could solve that.

Annotative objects...don't know what those are. Yikes...I know we are way far behind...small office, without the resources to stay at the leading edge.

Good catch, my apologies. Since I blew the first idea, I feel compelled to offer some more:

Are there objects at crazy elevations?

Are there curves or splines that are made up of a zillion vertices?

Are there objects created by a more current version or a vertical product that were then saved back to 2004?

Everything is at 0. No curves or splines, we avoid splines like the plague...everything in the file was created by AutoCAD 2004 or older.