Xref Lag

TRhoads

You can download and use DWG TrueView to open an AutoCAD drawing then save it to a previous version file format.

You're running WinXP I see. How much memory on each machine?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TRhoads

• ReMark

• SLW210

• JRauch

Top Posters In This Topic

You can download and use DWG TrueView to open an AutoCAD drawing then save it to a previous version file format.

You're running WinXP I see. How much memory on each machine?

I will check that one out, keep meaning to.

My machine has 3GM of memory, the other two that matter have 3 and 4 GB...the slowest machine is used by the slowest operator...who is not limited by the machine. :roll:

The computer that has 4GB installed should have the 3GB switch enabled in it's boot.ini file. Does it?

Have you tweaked the virtual memory settings on any of the computers?

The computer that has 4GB installed should have the 3GB switch enabled in it's boot.ini file. Does it?

Have you tweaked the virtual memory settings on any of the computers?

Since I have not heard of that trick, I would assume no. I will look into it. I have tweaked virtual memory on all machines to be the maximum allowed by the OS, since nothing is stored locally, the hard drives are fairly empty, with only programs needed on a daily basis. Most of very little installed on them.

The max allowed by the OS? And what might that be? When tweaking virtual memory settings it is usually a factor of 1.5 to 3.5 times the amount of installed RAM and the min/max values should be set the same to force Windows to set aside a dedicated portion of the hard drive as the swap file and to prevent it from shrinking and growing.

The max allowed by the OS? And what might that be? When tweaking virtual memory settings it is usually a factor of 1.5 to 3.5 times the amount of installed RAM and the min/max values should be set the same to force Windows to set aside a dedicated portion of the hard drive as the swap file and to prevent it from shrinking and growing.

I had just assumed that the OS determined the maximum virtual memory allowed, on my machine I am allowed to set that to 6000 MB. I have it set to 5000 MB currently. Forgive me if I am not using the right terms, or as knowledgeable about hardware and the way the computer works...I am an AutoCAD operator and architectural project manager, but not an IT oriented person, my knowledge is very focused...when things don't work and they tell me to fix it, I spend a lot of time researching...it is all FM to me...I can make a building stand up, but I can't tell you what an .ini file is, or what determines the maximum virtual memory...when the Windows graphic tells me 6000 MB limit, I assume Windows did that.

Windows is set up, by default, to use a setting of 1.5 times the amount of installed RAM for its virtual memory setting. Like I said, this can be pushed to as much as 3.5 but most users who take this route stay within a more conservative range of 2.5-3 times. Windows, again by default, will also let the swap file shrink and grow meaning it gets broken up. Thus the suggestion to make both min/max settings the same number to prevent the swap file from being broken up. All this is more than adequately covered in white papers found at the Microsoft website and at just about any good computer help site like SmartComputing.

If an XP computer has 4GB installed and the 3GB switch is not enabled it will actually run SLOWER than a machine with only 2GB installed.

If you are not the IT person who is?

If you are not the IT person who is?

We don't have one...when something with the computers breaks, they tell me to figure it out...when new computers used to get bought...they tell me to do it...efficient, heck no. But the partners are not going to have an IT support contract for as little as we need it, for a firm of 7 people it is not cost effective in their opinion. Now I get to go figure out the 3GB switch thing...:)

Found the 3GB switch instructions...that gets a little over my head, and outside of what I feel confident in changing. I don't think the person using the 4GB station is having any issues at this point with overall performance, only this xref issue...might just leave it as is, or I will end up spending two days trying to figure out how to undo it if I mess it up.

It's not that complicated really. It is basically adding one line to the boot.ini file. The scary part for most people is telling Windows to unhide the file in the first place. The other caveat most often repeated is to create a copy of the default .ini file prior to making any changes so it can be reset if the graphics card doesn't like what you have done. The whole process will take less time than it does to read the article. Even AutoDesk posted an article about the 3GB Switch setting at its website so you know they recognized the possible benefit it might have for some users.