Raster image to vector lines

SMP

Good Day all.

I am wondering is Map (or civil) has any capability of turning a raster image into lines or polylines? Or if there were stand alone programs or add-ins i could use to do this.

I need to update some backroads that appear on google maps to my 250K maps. I am just importing a screen shot now and "roughing in" a scale and then tracing the lines.

Curious to know if there is an easier way to grab this line work.

Accuracy at this scale isn't the most essential but time is.

Thanks in Advance.

Raster Design is the Autodesk product that does this. HOWEVER if all you need is the roads and you have Civil 3D with Map3D I would get the road centerline shp files from a GIS source. I beleve Canada just opened up their GIS data to the public to share.

Raster Design is the Autodesk product that does this. HOWEVER if all you need is the roads and you have Civil 3D with Map3D I would get the road centerline shp files from a GIS source. I beleve Canada just opened up their GIS data to the public to share.

Hey! Thanks again muprh, you have been a huge help in he past. Canada does have some some GIS data available to the public and i have gotten some shapefiles but they aren't as up to date as they probably should be. Hence them being free. I did try that win topo and although it did work the results were less then perfect. And having said that to get those raster images to the less then perfect stage took a fair bit of manipulation.

So i have decided to go back to my grade four roots and rubbersheet>trace the roads i do not have.

Does the same job in half the time of trying to get shoddy polylines.