Where do I put in the gasoline?

Yorel

Running Autocad 2010 in trial mode and did something that created a vertical dotted line giving me an unusable area on the right side of my workspace. I've attached a pic, if I did it right.

Workspace.jpg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Yorel

• Dadgad

• ReMark

• Tiger

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome to the forum. :)

Select it, and look in your QUICK PROPERTIES display (looks like you have it turned on) and see what it is.

Have you tried erasing it?

Have you tried UNDOing it, with U > > > > > meaning the letter U at the commandline followed by ENTER as many times as you need to back up, if you will, and UNDO previous actions which created it.

Do you have WORKSPACES set up? Try changing your workspace setting, and see if it disappears.

or

It might be your DASHBOARD ( I think that was still available in 2010).

Try typing DASHBOARD at your commandline, and see if you are given an option to turn it off.

It was the viewport. When you know what to look for, the "HELP" feature sure is handy. My problem is that I have had no training, and am trying to loft frames. There's a practicum with video, but using Autocad 2002. It's a simple process......when you know the steps. If you'd care to have a look....

modelshipworld.com/phpBB2/cadindex

.php at the end.

Glad you figured it out.

I like using the QUICK PROPERTIES palette because you can customize it to show the information you deem to be of interest for all different types of entities.

It sounds like what you did was to click twice inside the viewport, which takes you to modelspace.

When you want to return to paperspace you just click twice outside of the viewport.

Make sure to lock your viewport when you have it set up to display as you want it, and at the scale you want.

I thank you for your assisstance. I'd have been stuck without your help. Being 70 years old, it's difficult , nay, impossible to figure out most of this. I'm just trying to learn enough to loft some frames.

Have you watched any of the very good MODELING TUTORIALS offered on this site?

You will also find a lot of links to other good tutorials and sites.

If you are pretty green, then you might want to go to WE-R-HERE, it is on the list of linked sites.

They have a series of very good tutorials for getting started with the program.

I started teaching myself on that site about 4 years ago, it is well laid out and explained.

There is an absolute wealth of online instruction, and the members on this forum are always happy to help.

Good luck, I started doing this at 57, old dogs new tricks, be patient and methodical and you'll get there. :wink:

Only 70 years old? Jeez, you're not even wet behind the ears yet! LoL

Don't worry. The more you use the program the better you'll get at it.

The screen cap shows a drawing that I insetred as a JPG. Near the bottom there's a 50' scale. Right now, that 50' is 8.587 Units. I'd like to set it to a unit equals 0.250". Can't seem to find where I change it in Autocad 2010. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Yorel
Corrected the units.

Typically in Autocad we draw everything in MODELSPACE full size.

In light of that I am inclined to say that you should SCALE the JPG to full size, but in light of the fact that it is a JPG I cringe as I say that.

Are you able to post the drawing?

Usually the scaling is done through the use of a VIEWPORT in paperspace, to which a relevant scale is applied.

That is a screenshot of the drawing open on your computer, what I meant was to upload the actual .DWG autocad file which you have open in the previous screenshot. :)

Have you inserted the JPG to trace over it? If that is the case, I would trace as much information I could first, and then use the SCALE command to enlarge the drawing to scale (removing the JPG).

If you are planning to use the JPG in your drawing as it is, I would recommend you to reconsider. As you noticed, you have a huge drawing (in MBs) on your hands and in my experience that is never a good idea.

Just got rid of some company. I am tracing the picture. I guess I'll just have to wait until I get it traced and remove the picture. Thanks for your help.

I have to disagree Tiger. Tracing is not an exact science and when your tracing is scaled up, those errors are multiplied many times. If the image was inserted as an XREF, the scale doesn't affect the size of the file. Go ahead and make it full size in model space using the scale factor from the scale of the drawing or use the reference option in the scale command.