Shortcut keys

MisterJingles

Hi all

I'm wondering, to what extent can I customise my shortcut keys on my keyboard?

Example, currently AC has "C" set to CIRCLE, and "CO" or "CP" as COPY. Id like to assign "C" to COPY instead as I use it constantly and would work quicker this way.

Is it possible?

Thanks

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MisterJingles

• Tiger

• Dadgad

• ReMark

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is very simply changed. :)

The image shows WHERE you change them, below the area which I circled.

Everything you see below that point constitutes a small portion of my custom shortcalls for commands.

You can access them like this TOOLS > CUSTOMIZE> EDIT PROGRAM PARAMETERS

Do not change anything above the USER DEFINED COMMAND ALIASES SECTION, leave them just as they are.

customizing your shortcalls.jpg

command ALIASEDIT to c...

oh. LT... don't know if ALIASEDIT will work then. :(

LT must have EXPRESS TOOLS, right? :?

Oh dear I haven't updated my info.

I moved companies 2 weeks back and am now working on 2011 Mechanical, so sorry. Will rectify.

well then, woohoo to you Jingles :)

And then you can type ALIASEDIT and change everything to your hearts desire!

just a note: the one time I remember to check if its LT or not, it turns out the info is wrong. Just my luck :P

LT must have EXPRESS TOOLS, right? :?

Most of Express pack tools are AutoLISP routines, while this feature is disabled in LT. So, Express isn't available for LT users.

Thanks all, TOOLS>CUSTOMIZE>EDIT PROGRAM PARAMETERS worked a charm. It wouldn't recognise ALIASEDIT for some reason.

Thanks all, TOOLS>CUSTOMIZE>EDIT PROGRAM PARAMETERS worked a charm. It wouldn't recognise ALIASEDIT for some reason.

Glad that worked for you, too bad, it sounds like you don't have EXPRESS TOOLS installed, lots of good tools there. :)

Most of Express pack tools are AutoLISP routines, while this feature is disabled in LT. So, Express isn't available for LT users.

Yeah, just saw this response Mircea, right you are, that makes all kinds of sense. :beer:

Tiger, that would validate your suspicions about EXPRESS TOOLS, for the most part. :wink:

On the Ribbon, click on the Manage tab and you'll see an icon labelled "Edit Aliases". It could not be easier. The benefit of using this method is that when you are done a REINIT is issued automatically so your changes are immediately available to you.

Yeah it seems Express Tools are not loaded on these machines.

I will look into it and see what kind of benefit they would provide and possibly motivate installing them.

On the Ribbon, click on the Manage tab and you'll see an icon labelled "Edit Aliases". It could not be easier. The benefit of using this method is that when you are done a REINIT is issued automatically so your changes are immediately available to you.

This workstation is configured with AC Classic menus. In Classic I cannot find a MANAGE tab but the method described above worked well enough, other than having to restart AC as you mentioned.

Yeah, if you have Classic Menus, you don't see the Ribbon with it tabs. Whether you should change to Ribbon or not, that is a debate we don't have to go into :wink:

There is no reason to "restart" AutoCAD to make your changes take hold. All you have to do is issue the REINIT command at the command line.

Yes, it is impossible to find a Manage tab when one is working in AutoCAD Classic mode.

Express Tools is a collection of unique lisp routines that adds further functionality to AutoCAD with such commands as BCOUNT (count blocks), Convert to MText, SuperHatch, etc. Express Tools can be installed even after the fact. The option to do so is available on your installation media.

Tiger I did use Ribbons at the previous company and to be honest I really don't mind either way. The one thing I dislike about Ribbons is the amount of screen space they take up. Especially when not using large screens (my laptop has a 15" screen)

I'm trying to get into the habit of using shortcut keys anyway so Classic menu with a handful of icons should be fine.

ReMark thanks for the explanation and the REINIT tip. I'm unfamiliar with LISP routines since I've been on LT til just recently but will give thought to how they could make our life easier in this drawing office..

A simple Internet search will turn up a wealth of information on what can be found in Express Tools and the power of lisp routines including those that come standard with full AutoCAD and custom routines written by others and shared on numerous AutoCAD/AutoLisp related websites.

I hear ya about the screen space. Now that I know where to find the stuff that I need on the Ribbon I can collapse them to be just the main buttons when I am working on a laptop. That, and a self-collapsing Start-bar and I almost feel like I can see the entire drawing.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34828[/ATTACH]