Blocks Won't Rotate

tmchenry

I'm using AutoCAD 2010, working with a drawing created by someone else. I'm completely green with AutoCAD -- never used 2D CAD of any kind before. (I do have 15 year of experience with 3D CAD, but that's not much use to me now!)

The drawing is a shop floor plan, with each piece of a equipment as a block. I am moving or copying these blocks, sometimes to new layers. Sometimes, after I've moved a block to a new layer, I can no longer rotate it. The rotate command seems to work, but nothing happens.

Here's what I've tried so far:

* Checked if the layer is locked. (It's not; no layers are locked.)

* Tested other blocks. (They behave normally.)

* Toggled ortho mode on and off. (No change.)

* Closed and re-opened the file. (No change.)

* Closed and re-opened AutoCAD. (No change.)

* Rebooted. (No change.)

This has happened several times now. I've showed it to more experienced AutoCAD users here; nobody has seen this before. One guy took my drawing, "exploded the blocks" (whatever that means), and gave it back to me. The blocks would then rotate but, as soon as I started working with another one the same thing happened.

Any hypotheses will be appreciated!

What are you using as the block's rotation base point?

The blocks are generally combinations of rectangles -- very simple. When rotating, I've generally used one of the extreme corners of the block as the base point.

What's your hypothesis?

Perhaps a parametric constraint within the block.... or an annotative block set to match the layout orientation?

Run AUDIT on the drawing, answer Y to fix any errors.

Try using the ALIGN command on it and see if that works.

Also thaw all layers and turn all layers on as a test and try again.

Are you working in model layout or in a Paper Space layout?

Best idea, already mentioned, is to post the block or drawing here so we can have a look.

Can you post the block?

Last time it happened I deleted the block and made a new one from scratch. But it's bound to happen again, so I'll upload the block when it does.

You said there were "blocks" (plural). How about you upload one right now? A DWG file is needed not an image. Thank you.