Adding File Path to my drawing border

dsibbo

Hello,

I would like to add at the top of my drawing border the file path for that CAD drawing.

For example:

C:\Documents And Settings\Name\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.Outlook\6MI84FY3\3435_M_56_01 - Heating Ground Floor

This is something that I have seen in my previous employers drawing sheets but I would now like to add one to my own sheet.

I have looked into Plot Stamp command but this just seems to give me options for the date or tab name and not where the drawing is saved.

Thanks

I have found User Defined Fields in the Plot Stamp setting, and I guess that should be able to be used for this - but I haven't figured out how yet. Do you know ReMark? I have used just a FIELD instead of the Plot Stamp.

Perhaps they are one-in-the-same. I've used it in AutoCAD Electrical but not in plain AutoCAD. Unfortunately I don't have access to ACADE at the moment as we have only one license and it is currently in use. I'd have to look into further.

dsibbo: Wouldn't where the drawing is saved part of the drawing name/path?

I have found User Defined Fields in the Plot Stamp setting, and I guess that should be able to be used for this - but I haven't figured out how yet. Do you know ReMark? I have used just a FIELD instead of the Plot Stamp.

How about adding a FIELD > LINKED > HYPERLINK > HYPERLINK > Text to Display?

Test complete.

The path to the drawing file will be displayed in the plot stamp. Ex. - C:\Users\ReMark\Documents\Drawing1.dwg, 5/16/2012 7:40:41 AM

Setting the Plot Stamp feature up is pretty simple and straightforward.

Don't forget to enable the option in your Plot dialog window by placing a checkmark in the box labelled "Plot stamp on".

This is how it looks for me in Plot Stamp Settings - and then I can't do anything else. If I click Edit, I just get to edit the name of the User Defined Field..

Dadgad, I don't know where you mean that I should add that, I can't find anything like that in the FIELD-dialogue box.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34844[/ATTACH]

Test complete.

The path to the drawing file will be displayed in the plot stamp. Ex. - C:\Users\ReMark\Documents\Drawing1.dwg, 5/16/2012 7:40:41 AM

Setting the Plot Stamp feature up is pretty simple and straightforward.

Don't forget to enable the option in your Plot dialog window by placing a checkmark in the box labelled "Plot stamp on".

And that is when you tick the Drawing Name-box?

Yes, the Drawing Name box must be "ticked".

Tiger. Re: User defined fields. You can create a new field using the ADD button to the right in the last window. I created one called Field_1 for my test. Then where it says "User defined fields" (previous window) I made Field_1 my choice. Really, it works. I have a print out sitting to my left as I type this. That's where I got the info I showed for the path I typed previously.

What I don't get, and perhaps I am just not understanding it, is how to make the User Defined Field something other than a static line of text? Or is that the intended use? And I am just confusing it with FIELDs?

I don't think I follow you. What would you like it to be? Are you expecting a dialog box to pop up somewhere prior to plotting/printing where you'll have the opportunity to enter whatever you want?

I have expected that when I create a User Defined Field in the Plot Stamp Settings box, I will in fact be creating a FIELD (the entity) that I can set to reflect certain information about the drawing that will be automatically updated. I gather from your confusion that I have been wrong all along though. And that you can't combine Plot Stamps with FIELDS (the entity)

I use the PLOT STAMP method to print information up the side of the plot. We have drawn by, full file name and time printed. We also use an MTEXT field within the drawing blank to hard code the filename. We don't diplay the path but it is possible.

OK...I see what you are getting at now. I think the user is limited to what information is contained within the plot stamp as defined by the choices that are available. What additional information would you be looking to add and have updated each time a plot is made?

Now that I look at it again, I have my doubts about what I just said. I'd have to run a test to determine what can/cannot be included in the plot stamp. It is not a feature I use with plain AutoCAD on a daily basis.

Can anyone tell I'm confused?:? Does it show?:lol:

This is how it looks for me in Plot Stamp Settings - and then I can't do anything else. If I click Edit, I just get to edit the name of the User Defined Field..

Dadgad, I don't know where you mean that I should add that, I can't find anything like that in the FIELD-dialogue box.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34844[/ATTACH]

Tiger I was talking about adding a regular FIELD, with field type LINKED nothing to do with the Plot Stamp Settings. :)

I use RTEXT + Diesel located vertically on the lower left, you could also use this with MTEXT and Fields.

$(getvar, "dwgprefix")$(getvar, "dwgname") ($(getvar, "ctab")) Plotted on: $(edtime, 0, MON DD"," YYYY - H:MMam/pm) by $(getvar, "loginname")

This one gives Path, Drawing Name, Info on the Model or Layout Tab, plotted on Date & Time and plotted By.

Tiger I was talking about adding a regular FIELD, with field type LINKED nothing to do with the Plot Stamp Settings. :)

I think the use of the work 'field' in the plot stamp is confusing things. This was in AutoCAD before Fields were available. So the field in the plot stamp is a static piece of text.

I prefer to use Fields, set it up in a separate drawing and insert it automatically when I start a new drawing.

• 10 years later...