Total noob

bothal08

ok cool...after doing what nestly said...i click on layout 1 at the bottom and its all fitting on the page but bottom right it says 2.48 (view point scale) does that mean the print out will show the drawing to a scale of 1:2.48?? where do i see what the print scale will be??

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bothal08

• ReMark

• nestly

• Dadgad

First I would take care of the viewport scale before I start worrying over printing.

The beauty of using a layout is that when you do go to print you do so at a scale of 1:1 (1 unit = 1mm). AutoCAD will automatically handle the printing of each viewport based upon the scale assigned to it. You don't have to do anything but sit back and let AutoCAD handle it.

Yes, the viewport scale is displayed in the lower right hand corner of your screen. If you click on it you'll see a list of available scales (the user can add/delete scales). Choose a scale and see what happens.

ok so the units are decimal millimeters...and i have been typing in one unit for one meter but its acyually millimeters...but when i try draw a meter long line (1000) it shoots off the screen

how do i draw to actuall size

1 unit can be equal to what ever you want, i.e. - 1mm, 1cm, 1m, 1km, etc. You should have given some thought to where the decimal point had to go when you typed in your distances.

I think everything you drew is to the left of 0,0 first of all. And second, you can always try a Zoom > All or a Zoom > Extents to find what you are looking for.

OK...I just took a look at your drawing. As I suspected everything you drew is way off to the left of 0,0. And I notice that despite having four layers (not counting Defpoints which is created by AutoCAD) it appears you may have drawn everything on layer "0". Not a good practice. If you have a layer called Furniture with its own distinct color that is the layer your furniture should naturally go on and you should not override the color (it should be set to "By Layer") unless there is a good reason to do so.

can u not edit that drwaing i sent to u...change athe settings to what they should be so that im drwaing in meters and the scale is right??? and how do i zoom out max?

I could but I wouldn't learn anything i don't already know. You, on the other hand, could use the practice.

Re: Zoom. Jeez, didn't I cover that topic already? Why yes I did as a matter of fact.....in my last post.

ya i figured it out i re scaled the drawing (1000) and zoomed out until i could see everything then i went to layout and a floor plan can fit on the page nicely with a scale of 1:200...is that right for a building 10x12 (meters)

1:200 sounds more like a scale a site plan (building lot) might be plotted on but you're using an A4 sheet size which is rather small right?

ok i tried 1:100 and it still fits on the page...how do i widen the borders because they are nowhere near the edge of the page

The borders? You mean the viewport itself? Click on it and use the grips but there really isn't any reason to do so. You should NOT see the viewport frame when you have plotted your drawing. You might as well write "Noob" on the drawing if you do. Instead, create and use a title block and border like the professionals use.

ok so how do i do that:oops: oh and thanks for the help so far....so with the title block and border there will be no view port?

i go to selborne college by the way if u have heard of it?

Selborne College? No, I haven't, but I'm pretty sure we don't live in the same area of the world.

No, YOU will see the viewport (if you want to) on your screen BUT if you follow the advice I previously gave you (re: viewports on own layer set to "no print") then when it is printed it will NOT show up in the final product. Understand?

yeah i do but on the layout 1 theres the block with all the grids where the drawing is shown which is smaller then the actual page size how do i make that bigger???