Total noob

bothal08

hey all

im relatively new to autocad and am having some trouble...ive tried looking on other threads but just cant seem to find the right explanation.

im busy with a school project in which i have to draw a few floor plans and elevations of a kitchen facility.

ive drawn my floor plan using decimal meters and i now want to know how to plot it for printing but im having trouble with the scaling...its like ive made the floor plan too small because when i use scal 1:2 it still fits on the screen.

and also when trying to put in dimensions the number text is huge

help would be appreciated

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bothal08

• ReMark

• nestly

• Dadgad

Post a copy of the drawing so we can have a look at it. Start with clicking on the Go Advanced button then look for the Paper Clip icon. Browse to the location of the file on your hard drive, upload it then attach to your next post.

BTW...not everyone here has 2013 so I'd do a "saveas" to an earlier file format like 2000 or 2004.

You do a "saveas" and where it says "Files of type" you would select a previous version and make sure you save it as a DWG file and not a DXF file.

Well my first question would be where is the viewport in layout1? What sheet size were you thinking of using?

It appears to me that you used an Imperial template to create drawing in metric units. Although not impossible to convert, it will be far easier to just open a new metric template and use the clipboard to copy/paste everything from your existing drawing into the new/blank template.

To use a viewport in a paper space layout it helps to utilize the Page Setup Manager and select a paper size. After you have made your selection and have indicated any other choices you deem necessary you return to your layout and use the MVIEW command to create one or more viewports.

Viewports should, in my opinion, go on their own layer and that layer should be set to "no print" in the Layer Properties Manager.

Viewports have a scale assigned to them not the objects that exist over in model space (which should have been drawn to FULL size).

Viewports can be resized using their grips.

Viewports can be moved, copied, rotated and even deleted all without affecting model space objects.

Once a viewport's display has been set, and you are happy with the scale, the display should be locked (via the Properties palette or some other means) to prevent accidentally changing the viewport scale inadvertently.

Where were you planning on placing your dimensions and any text? In model space or in your layout?

if u could tell me how to set up a template in which i draw using meters (metric) and the scaling will be accurate on the layout...so i can draw and have no problems with printing

model space i have to give a floor plan with dimensions

The best practice would be to use a feature called "Annotative Scaling" which can be applied to blocks, hatching, text and dimensions. You'll have to view a tutorial to understand how the feature works. If you are pressed for time or you have trouble understanding how to use this feature then you could put both your text and dimensions directly in your layout. I will not make a recommendation of one over the other because I think it is up to the user to try both and make their own decision. For the record, I do not use annotative scaling although I have tried it and I am somewhat conversant on the subject.

Weird, when I opened your original drawing (2013) format, the drawing units were Architectural, but when I opened your 2nd one with AutoCAD2011, they're Decimal, so what I previously said about your drawing being Imperial may be erronious.