Arc/circle smoothness setting

coilspring

Hi,

I'm trying to find a way to set the number (or multiplier) of line segments that make up an arc when rendering. If I model a large circle and render it in a high resolution image I can clearly see the line segments and it messes up the clarity of certain models.

I know that in AutoCAD this setting is in options->Display->Display Resolution ("rendered object smoothness"). Is there an equivalent setting in Inventor?

I found this post that refers to a much older version:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Arc-and-circle-smoothness/td-p/578420

It mentions changing a registry setting, which I can't find (presumably it was moved?).

Any help would be appreciated.

JD: Either extrude a circle (or a sketch with an arc in it) or revolve a sketch. I guess I should have said render a cylinder or a 3D object with an arc in it. The simplest way to see this is by placing a circle in a sketch, extruding it only slightly (so that the result is a disc), and then rendering it top-down (viewing the top of the disc).

Update:

I found another old post addressing this issue, this time from 2006:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Autodesk-guys-Print-Screen-better-quality-than-IV-render/td-p/1813741/page/3

The suggestion is again to modify the registry -- " HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion11.0\System\Preferences\Display “Faceting Options” ". The value should be changed from "0x00000042" to "0x00010042". The problem is that in my registry the value for that key is "0x00200042". Also, it seems to reset every time I run inventor.

Oddly enough, what *does* work (at least in the tests I made) is the "zoom in" hack suggested by Josh_Petitt: Zoom in (a lot) and then zoom back out again, but not all the way. What I did was place a camera from which to render, so that I can zoom in and then just open the render dialog and hit "render". That way it doesn't matter how zoomed-in you are. In the models I tested so far this seems to work. It's a hack, though, and if there's a more "formal" fix it would be useful to know.