Copy & Rename Block

Temporary Creature

Sorry y'all- I'm sure this is discussed elsewhere but I'm tired of looking thru a zillion posts because I can't get the Search "hit words" configured correctly-

Anyway-

I have downloaded a couple of blocks, configured them, fixed their scales, wipeouts, etc...

but now there are times when I want the same block, with a slightly different whatever/something-

How can I copy an existing block, already in my drawing, save it under a new name, and alter the new one so it doesn't mess with all the others?

Seems like it should be pretty easy- but I can't figure it out.

Thanks-

TC

Thanks- as always- for the speeedy reply

I hadn't thought of exploding actually- in my limited and sparse trainings in ACAD I was always told two things were absolute (?!)

1.ALWAYS draw in model space at 1 to 1 scale

and

2. NEVER, EVER explode stuff---there will be consequences...!

(relatively good general rule)

So I guess it's time to see what the little firecracker can do

thanks-

TC

You will never guess what the RENAME command can do: it will rename blocks, layers, ... everythings in your drawing. :)

Try to explore the dynamic blocks. The theory says that dynamic blocks are for similar objects that repeats with minor changes. But for the often used components I created some nice blocks; with two clicks I transform the front view of a guid bush into a side view. So I have just two inserts of the same block -showing differrent views of the same object.

• 7 years later...

Copy the block to another (empty) drawing.

Rename ( =command ) + change ( if nessasary ) the block.

Copy renamed block to original drawing.

Result: Changed block with all original parameters ...

Necrophilia is a dying art, but whilst were at it, how about using the saveas button from inside the block editor, you can make alterations and create a new block using the old geometry or parameters as the basis.

Saveas.png