File size growing

In Acad 2006 2D, what could cause a file that's been around 1.3MB to increase to 2.5mB and now to 9.3Mb, in 2 days as I work on it? It already has many large Blocks but I haven't increased their number, just gone in and out of them to update, copy elements from one to another etc. Have added two more Paperspace sheets, with multiple viewports, but they are zoomed in so each viewport doesn't contain a great deal. Nothing new, just adding detail, tiny extra compared to what's already there. I have purged, Saved As, closed Acad and re-opened. Things like Trim between 2 lines have slowed right down - seconds to trim each line. It's getting worse!

Hatching?

Did you use the command line version of the PURGE command? Did you purge Regapps first then all else?

Have you run an AUDIT on this drawing?

Are you using layer filters?

Maybe you should consider XREFing in those blocks, or locking some of the layers which are not particularly relevant to the work you are currently doing.

Xrefing - wd that be so their size isn't added to the current file size? I did try that originally but found it v cumbersome to go in and out of them to edit and copy bits in and out, as I do all the time. Can't remember what the prob was, cd try again.

locking layers - how wd that help?

Still, those don't exp[lain the sudden doubling then doubling of the file size, accomanied by big slowdown of some opearations. Almost like two then four then eight copies of the file are being held in memory - but that survives computer re-boot, so can't stay in RAM.

So the actual file size hasn't grown exponentially? Now you are talking about the amount of RAM being used during an editing session?

ReMark, I overlooked your first response. I have now run command line purge - nothing new to purge except several Regapps - how can I tell if each of these is safe to purge?

and ran Audit - 14 faults fixed.

It's actual file size I'm seeing - that about RAM was just grasping at straws.

Before doing the command line Purging and Auditing, before opening the .dwg this morning, in Explorer it had dropped back to 2.5Mb, but the .bak saved 2 secs earlier was still 9.3Mb. Now after auditing, both are 2.5Mb. That's still twice what is was 2 days ago, for no gd reason I can see.

Any other ideas? - which things are big?

I don't have any text in modelspace.

I have lots of linetype Batting. What about solid hatching, what about gradient hatching?

I have three quarters at linetype scale 50, one quarter at 5, many various linetype scales to the Batting lines.

Does adding more paperspace sheets and/or more viewports add to file size, even when the viewports are zoomed in to show only a small detail of what is a very big model?

I don't have any text in modelspace. I doubt that would have any real influence on the size of the file.

I have lots of linetype Batting. What about solid hatching, what about gradient hatching? A possibility I suppose.

I have three quarters at linetype scale 50, one quarter at 5, many various linetype scales to the Batting lines. Again, I don't think linetype scale would have any affect on file size.

Does adding more paperspace sheets and/or more viewports add to file size, even when the viewports are zoomed in to show only a small detail of what is a very big model? Viewports? Probably not. Paper space layouts? I think someone here tested that theory and disproved it. I would have to check.

Make a copy of the drawing. Slowing delete objects one or a few at a time and save in between and check the file size. You could delete, save and check file size then undo .....

Start with all that hatching.

Did you ever install service pack 1 for 2006?

Do you use named layer filters?

Do you have a bloated scalelist? Could try cleaning it out with SCALELISTEDIT.

Maybe you have duplicate geometry (one line directly below another). Could try using the Express Tools OVERKILL command.

Have you checked any of your blocks (individual file size)? Maybe you have one that is too large for its own good.

Try resetting your Incremental save percentage setting in the Options > Open and Save tab. Set it to "0" (it helps keep your file size smaller).

Do you use a lot of individual lines instead of polylines when you create objects? Polylines are more efficient.

I've only been around since version 2008, but in my opinion this happens "sometimes" with al Autocad versions :shock: