Autocad 2013 Selection when zooming bug..

Trickinitup

Hi ALL,

Once again I have come here to shamelessly pick your collective brains.

I have searched for an explanation to this but have come up with little.

Basically, when i attempt to move/stretch/whatever a group of objects using the selection window. If I start the window at one point and then zoom over the objects to another point where I can only see part of the original objects and then end the selection. Only the objects that are visible on the zoomed screen will be selected, even though I selected a lot more to begin with.

I find this bug REALLY annoying, does anybody else?

Regards

Although a lot of people complain about this, it's actually not a bug.

Objects that are zoomed/panned completely off-screen before the window selection is completed will not be included in the selection set.

You may try using SELECT > CP (Crossing Polygon)

There is a way you can do it. Simply enabled the Aerial View window via the .DSVIEWER command. You can select objects in one corner of your drawing, use the aerial view to move to the opposite corner, select objects there and you won't lose the ones you initially selected.

There is a way you can do it. Simply enabled the Aerial View window via the .DSVIEWER command. You can select objects in one corner of your drawing, use the aerial view to move to the opposite corner, select objects there and you won't lose the ones you initially selected.

ReMark from way down town at the buzzer! That's pretty obscure and cool. :beer:

Not if you ever heard of a company called nth Graphics, Ltd. from down Austin, Texas way. They had a piece of software called nth Engine that had this capability long before AutoDesk got the idea. The year was 1988.

Not if you ever heard of a company called nth Graphics, Ltd. from down Austin, Texas way. They had a piece of software called nth Engine that had this capability long before AutoDesk got the idea. The year was 1988.

I should think that within the context of software which has been around for let's call it 3 decades, that this 24 year old capability, while visionary in its day might justifiably be called obscure.

Hands up if you remember 1988, and NTH Graphics, Ltd? :beer:

It was visionary then AutoDesk copied the idea and drove the company out of business. I don't think the Aerial View ever caught on with most users. The command has been consigned to the AutoCAD basement of nearly-forgotten relics.

It was visionary then AutoDesk copied the idea and drove the company out of business. I don't think the Aerial View ever caught on with most users. The command has been consigned to the AutoCAD basement of nearly-forgotten relics.

Wasn't it recently deprecated?

If I recall correctly, Aerial view was turned on by default (in the lower right corner) in the mid 90's when I was using LT/ LT97 I remember it being useful then, but I think it lost most of it's value with the addition of transparent zoom and pan.

I think Aerial View was first introduced in AutoCAD Release 12.

I got the nth Engine software when I persuaded the engineering company I worked for at the time to buy me a "real" CAD computer (not the same type the office manager did the books on). LoL

I used Bird's Eye view with Softengine thru v14. Aerial view is not nearly as good. Aerial is helpful on large site plans.

Sorry guys, but to me this IS a bug.

The selection criteria should depend on the co-ordinates of the crossing window (where you start and end YOUR selection) and NOT the zoomed screen area which then unselects objects by default. There is no possible way that this current method is more advantageous, especially when dealing with lots of detail. Also, it does not happen with microstation or draftsight software.

Cheers

There is no possible way that this current method is more advantageous, especially when dealing with lots of detail.

Sure there is... namely the inadvertent selection of objects that's bound to occur when an adjustable window is drawn around objects that aren't visible. We can argue among ourselves about which method is better (you're certainly not alone thinking the behavior should be different) but this is how it's "always" been in AutoCAD.

AutoCAD Knowledgebase - Objects are lost from selection set

Every piece of CAD software is going to work differently. If this feature is necessary to your work habits then you have two options. 1) Utilize the Aerial View in AutoCAD. 2) Change your software to Microstation or Draftsight.

• 2 weeks later...
Every piece of CAD software is going to work differently. If this feature is necessary to your work habits then you have two options. 1) Utilize the Aerial View in AutoCAD. 2) Change your software to Microstation or Draftsight.

Hi and thanks for the suggestions. 1) A bit tedious to use aerial view all the time and 2) it's not my drawing office so don't have much of a choice at work.

Would be nice if Autodesk gave you a choice to switch it on or off.

Cheers

There is a 3rd alternative (probably more) and that is to change the method of selection. Your first point should be zoomed in to a tight space, then zoom out for the second selection. I have watched people over the years complain about this bug but I have not ever noticed the limitation myself. Ok, a few time over the course of 30 years I have needed to select in two tight spaces so I draw a large circle at the location of one of the selection points, zoom in to the other one, pick, zoom way out and snap to the center of the circle. Since I have only had to do this a few times I don't see a problem.

On the flip side it may have kept me from moving or erasing things that I didn't really want to do that to.

I too used the Softengine driver, I bought it on my own because they wouldn't and then they reimbursed me because others in the office saw the necessity of it and everyone got a copy. With today's fast computers I don't see much of a need for it, probably for the last 15 years or more.

• 5 months later...
Hi ALL,

Once again I have come here to shamelessly pick your collective brains.

I have searched for an explanation to this but have come up with little.

Basically, when i attempt to move/stretch/whatever a group of objects using the selection window. If I start the window at one point and then zoom over the objects to another point where I can only see part of the original objects and then end the selection. Only the objects that are visible on the zoomed screen will be selected, even though I selected a lot more to begin with.

I find this bug REALLY annoying, does anybody else?

Regards

Everyone else is making the solution to this WAY too hard... I was having the same annoyance and discovered that my Visual Style had changed on me. (Upper left corner of model space) When I changed it back to 2D Wireframe everything worked the way I've always had it work.

I guess we don't draft the way everybody else does but this sure was annoying!!