Anyone use Rtext?

CADTutor

Over the last week or so I've been updating some more of Kenny Ramage's old tutorials at AfraLISP. There are now 116 updated tutorials.

Today I just completed an AutoCAD tutorial using a (little known?) Express Tool called Rtext (Remote Text). Although I was dimly aware of this feature, I've been blown away by how potentially useful it is. Basically, you can use Rtext in combination with DIESEL strings to automatically generate dynamic text objects that react to changes in the drawing or to changes in external text files. Take a look at the tutorial for some examples.

Am I the only one for whom this is a revelation? Oh, sure, everyone else has been using this since for ever :oops:

After further investigation, it looks as though the Rtext concept is now implemented as AutoCAD Fields. Initially, I thought Fields had to use one of the off-the-peg variables but, in fact, Fields can also be used with DIESEL expressions, making them probably a more convenient way of doing the same thing. That's what I love about AutoCAD, you always find something interesting in the attic :lol:.

I remember so issues with drawings supplied by others that used RTEXT many years ago and we didn't like it for some reason, missing data is what is iching at my memory.

Like anything it is all great if you are the one using it and know how it fits in with the overall scheme. Has to work when you pass it on to a 3rd party. (eTransmit goes along way)

IMO - the one or two features that RTEXT offers that FIELDS do not cover, are not worth using this half-baked, unsupported, dead entity/command.

IMO - the one or two features that RTEXT offers that FIELDS do not cover, are not worth using this half-baked, unsupported, dead entity/command.

Hey RK, don't you think you should come off the fence? - can't bear people who just can't say what they think! ;)

You were not so harsh on this subject on the Autodesk site. So, did you find a solution?

I personally have never seen an issue with RTEXT, though with the exception of my plot stamp, I now use fields pretty much everywhere else.

RTEXT is short for remote text and can also display an external text file in your drawing, along with using DIESEL.

I also find that many CAD users will edit your fields but leave RTEXT untouched.

That said, I probably should redo drawings going forward that have RTEXT plot stamps with Fields, but seems like a lot of work for nothing really.

Hey RK, don't you think you should come off the fence? - can't bear people who just can't say what they think! ;)

I'll try better next time. :-)

You were not so harsh on this subject on the Autodesk site. So, did you find a solution?
I think I know what you're referring to, and IIRC, I was playing devil's advocate...

I personally have never seen an issue with RTEXT, though with the exception of my plot stamp, I now use fields pretty much everywhere else.

We used to run into it all the time, where it would display a box with an "X" through it. Yes, I know there are solutions such as make sure the ARX is loaded, make sure it is set for demandload, etc. - but you shouldn't have to jump through hoops to make something work - especially when you have no control over the drawing when it's on someone else's system.

Rtext does not support word wrap, justification, and Rtext objects do not show up in DWG Trueview.

I do wish the Fields dev team would have consulted with the old Rtext dev team and added the few features that are missing from Fields.

Well, since RK won't come down off the fence :P ... I do not use RText, and instead only use MText, and Text entities (with fields).

Actually, you were trying to find a way to put Xrefs in the plot stamp without using Rtext.

Never had a problem with the Rtext plot stamp, so I will be leaving it for now. Everything else is Fields anyhow.

Actually, you were trying to find a way to put Xrefs in the plot stamp without using Rtext.
Yea, that is what I'm talking about. I knew the answer before asking the question.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the tutorial CadTutor. I am using the same format to record my external xrefs. The problem that i am having now is that some of my drawings make use of more xref files than there is space for in the title block. Do you know or anybody else know on how to have this list of xrefs split into 2 columns once it reaches a certain amount in one column?

• 3 years later...