Project Navigator - Job Number as Prefix on Folders

c2phace

Hello,

I have recently been diving into using the Project Navigator in AutoCAD Architecture 2011. I am doing my best to re-create the file structure and project standards we have in place, but I am getting hung up in one area. When I create a new job, I would like to have the system prefix the main job folder, and all the sub folders with the job number (e.g. 11101-Union Building).

I know CAD has a way to achieve this for each of the files created, but I have not found an option for the folders. It is possible to rename these folders, but that causes issues with any fields pulling information from the job title. I have all of the jobs in one main folder, and it is much easier to organize with the number first.

Any ideas? Registry Key edits possibly?

Thanks in advance.

Just exit out of AutoCAD Architecture, rename the folder and put in the number you want, then open AutoCAD Architecture back up. It'll tell you there's an error, just click okay & bring up the Project Browser, right-click the Project and click "Browse Project" and re-select the *.APJ file. It'll simply re-path the entire project and you continue on like nothing ever happened.

:)

Hey thanks. That's a good workaround. After I re-path the project however, the Project Navigator reverts that name of the folder to match the project - Windows explorer still shows the name change with the job number prefix. Not a big deal, I'll just use Explorer instead of the Navigator.

I wish there was a better way to do this - It seems like a common sense thing for CAD to display the job number in the title... I just don't look forward to trying to get all the employees to implement this workaround! But what can you do?

Thanks again.

Hmmm, it didn't change the name of the Project for me. Might want to set up a test Project and test that again.

Also note, it's really bad practice to use Windows Explorer. In fact, it's a sin at most design firms, haha. Also if you are using Windows Explorer you lose all the functionality within the Project Navigator. I would highly recommend you use the Project Navigator and never, ever Windows Explorer.

Just a tip is all. Obviously you are free to do things your way but thought I'd share anyways. :)