Penn Foster-Structural Project, Plate 2

Rocktamusprime

First and foremost, thank you to everyone who takes the time to answer all our questions.

I would be grateful for any comments on this project. My biggest concerns are the siding and rebar (i'm a piping estimator, and taught myself the basics of AutoCAD years ago for shop markups) so i'm not familiar with much on the structural side.

Thank you in advance for any comments or suggestions.

In retospec, i should be paying you guys my tuition in lieu of this "school" as i have learned more from this site than all of P-F's lesson materials.

PS-i have not uploaded any of the project details, as there are many threads with this info already.

SOUTH ELEVATION-P2(AC 2010 CAP).dwg

Welcome to the CADTutor forum Rock and thank you for your kind words on behalf of everyone who has contributed in one way or another to a Penn-Foster thread.

I could only take a real quick look but I have a couple of comments.

1. It appears that some vertical rebar is missing in each pier/footing.

2. The siding runs vertically not horizontally (if I recall correctly).

3. It appears that the floor decking is missing. Cannot pour all that nice concrete you are showing without decking on top of the beams otherwise somebody is going to have a big mess on their hands.

4. Depending on which way a "W" shape column/beam is viewed the resultant depiction of it will be different. Looking at the flat face of the flange the web would be dashed. Looking at the same column/beam from a different side one would see the top/bottom edges of both flanges. Understand?

If I get a chance later I'll take a more in-depth look.

Edited by ReMark

W Shape.PNG

This is what I was talking about in item number 4 above.

It is two views of a W10x39. On the left we are looking at the flat face of the flange (the web is hidden so it is dashed). On the right we are looking at the edges of the flange. Hope this helps.

Thank you for the quick response.

In reply-

1. Omission on my part, i easily forget where i am while trying to do my actual job's work, while at work

2. Noted, I'll re-read that bullet

3. Agreed, I couldn't figure out why that would have been left of that specific plate's instructions, then started on Plate 3 and there it was.

4. Understood, and most appreciated. Thanks again, ReMark

That would be great, though no rush, i'm 8 months ahead of schedule with this course

No rush? Then I'll see you again in seven months!

I'm kidding.

I'll check back on Thursday morning. You have enough to do all ready I think.

Edited by ReMark

I do not think the beams extend beyond the columns at either end. The beams would also have to be attached somehow to the columns with angle clips. Wouldn't you want to indicate this on your drawing?

The door header is a W10x45. What is the shape/size of the columns supporting it?

The scale of the hatch pattern used for depicting the ground seems a tad too big.

Thank you for the insight.

I have made changes and either made things worse, or fixed a few.

The angle clips are being called for in detail on a different plate, though it may be worth it to put them in anyways (however, i got in the habit of not doing anything more than what the instructions call).

The door header is W10X45 with no mention of supporting columns, so i made them W10X45's as well.

I've attached my revision for you comments when you get a chance.

Thanks again!!!

SOUTH ELEVATION-P2-Revised(AC 2010 CAP).dwg

The vertical metal siding has the same profile as the decking I believe. Therefore, the hatch pattern you have used to denote the siding is not appropriate.

If a beam passes in front of a column then we would not see a portion of the column that is behind it as the beam blocks the view. If we still want to indicate there is something "back there" then we use a hidden line.

Tell me the process by which you created the metal floor decking. It doesn't appear to be an efficient method. It looks like you used individual lines and filled the space between with a solid hatch but you did this for only a small section of the decking then copied it. Am I correct?

Some of your linework appears as though you "eye-balled" it meaning you started one line at what you thought was the endpoint of another but you made your pick by eye rather than use an OSnap like "endpoint". This is a habit that you should not be developing. Accuracy is the name of the game. When attaching one line to another, or moving, rotating, copying, etc. objects one should get use to using OSnaps such as endpoint, midpoint, perpendicular, intersection, center, quadrant and alike. Are you familiar with OSnaps?

I think there is still more work to be done on the rebar in the pier. It should extend higher and there should be additional horizontal rebar as well. I also think there is more rebar in the footing than you show too.

Re: bottom of your columns. It appears your baseplate is between the flanges of the column. In some cases this may be one method used but do your instructions indicate the size of the baseplate and its position relative to the column itself? I kind of expect, in the view you have drawn, for the baseplate to extend in either direction some small distance beyond the face of flange. Upon closer inspection of your baseplate it appears to be extending into your flanges. Now that would be entirely wrong. The column usually sits on top of the baseplate.

One CAD related piece of advice. One of the best features of any CAD program, and why CAD out performs manual drafting, is the ability to create and use blocks. So, when you have an element that is going to be repeated in a drawing numerous times it makes sense to create a block. Blocks can be moved and rotated and even scaled. Blocks should be created on layer "0" so that when they are inserted into a drawing they take on the characteristics of the layer they are in inserted on. This means the block will be the same color as the layer and use the same linetype as the layer too. Note: There are two commands you should be aware of and they are 1) BLOCK and 2) WBLOCK. The first creates a block within a drawing. The second writes the block definition to your hard drive as a DWG file. One of the advantages of the second command is that a block written to the hard drive can be used in any drawing you are working through a number of different ways.

Edited by ReMark

Baseplate2.PNG

This baseplate uses only two bolts. Notice once again the column sits on top of the baseplate. It is so much easier for the fabrication shop to weld the baseplate to the column this way. If the bottom of the baseplate and the column were the same the baseplate would have to be made in two pieces that were "coped" to fit between the flanges. Too much work would be involved to make this a cost efficient method.

Thank you for all the advice, i have a lot to go over on this drawing.

Tell me the process by which you created the metal floor decking. It doesn't appear to be an efficient method. It looks like you used individual lines and filled the space between with a solid hatch but you did this for only a small section of the decking then copied it. Am I correct?

100% correct, i'll add that to this list of things to change this weekend.

I just got a copy of 2013 to use at home, since the student version (school supplied) would not run on any of my desktops or laptops at home and i've been, until this point, restricted to doing these while at work.

Re: bottom of your columns. It appears your baseplate is between the flanges of the column. In some cases this may be one method used but do your instructions indicate the size of the baseplate and its position relative to the column itself? I kind of expect, in the view you have drawn, for the baseplate to extend in either direction some small distance beyond the face of flange. Upon closer inspection of your baseplate it appears to be extending into your flanges. Now that would be entirely wrong. The column usually sits on top of the baseplate.

The dimension given is, "The plate is 14 x 14 x 1/2. The W12 x 152 steel column is welded to the plate"

Thank you for the examples, i'll raise the columns to sit upon the plate.

I will also get more familiar with the BLOCK and WBLOCK functions, i use them for my piping drawings and for some reason (insanity at work and a general lack of logical brain processing resulting from said work insanity), never thought to carry it over to this application.

Again, thank you very much for all the insight and time you have given. Revision 2 here i come!

Nope, i've uploaded my instruction book. Pg 12.

May have been one of the changes made to the program.

054040.pdf

And now see that my columns are too wide, plate will be same size and columns to sit on top.

Edited by Rocktamusprime
omission

Yes, a subtle change was made it appears. Not sure why it was necessary.

Thanks for uploading the latest version of the instructions. I'll have to give them a quick read.