How can I make an ESC button shortcut?

Currahee

I have made my own buttons, bars and LISPs for years and just cant figure out if there is a way to do this.

I dont know if this can be done....but I get so tired of reaching up and hitting the ESC button or the spacebar. I would love to be able to put this command on either the right-click menu or either on a button. (I know if you can put it on the menu, you can put it on a button...but you get what I am asking...)

Can this be done?

Thanks

Tim

Edited by Currahee

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nestly

• Dadgad

• dbroada

• Currahee

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...or reaching up and hitting the spacebar.;)

Target fixation, sorry my reading comprehension is usually much better than that, the coffee hasn't kicked in here yet.

Oh good, I now realize that was an edit, and I didn't misread the original post.

At least the spacebar is centrally located and quite a bit larger target.

I too hate to take my right hand off the mouse, but my left hand is typically oncall,

resting on the left side of my keyboard.

Just hit the spacebar instead. :)

That's not equivalent to pressing Esc.

You can add ^C^C to the end of any existing command and it will work, but what I don't like about that is when you use the right-click button to repeat a command afterward, it repeats the command in your "Escape Macro".

If you want to be really efficient, get a mouse with a couple extra buttons and assign one of them to Esc.

That's not equivalent to pressing Esc.

You can add ^C^C to the end of any existing command and it will work, but what I don't like about that is when you use the right-click button to repeat a command afterward, it repeats the command in your "Escape Macro".

If you want to be really efficient, get a mouse with a couple extra buttons and assign one of them to Esc.

I didnt think bout that... my mouse has 6 buttons

Surprise!!! It is already built in to AutoCAD. Simply click and hold the right mouse button for a few seconds and release. Just dont move the mouse button or you will be prompted to move or copy the selection set - although, that could be useful as well if needed but note that moving or copying with this method will do so without the aid of OSNAPs...

http://autocadtips.wordpress.com/2011/10/05/easy-way-to-clear-a-selection-set/

I agree with troggarf, check out time sensitive right click...

Yep, a good call by troggarf! :thumbsup:

I wholeheartedly agree, time sensitive right click is the best way to go! :beer:

No way dudes.... when you do it that way, you are activating DROPGEOM and no matter how careful you are, you're going to make some unintentional/unnoticed drag-n-drops.

No way dudes.... when you do it that way, you are activating DROPGEOM and no matter how careful you are, you're going to make some unintentional/unnoticed drag-n-drops.
I have never heard of this before, and being curious I tried the above and have now entered DROPGEOM mode. Which leaves me with a couple of questions.

1 - What is it?

2 - how do I escape it!

3 - why isn't it in the F1 help file?

I've never heard of that one before nestly, course i'm still pretty green, but a quick google supports your contention. Extra mouse button certainly works too, but I'm gonna stick with the ESC key, as my hand loiters there any way. :beer:

But for those who have never tried it, the time sensitive right click option is very useful.

Did you ever remember that OPTIONS by osmosis shortcut? You obviously have a great memory! You routinely amaze me with your depth of knowledge and great videos. :wink:

I have never heard of this before, and being curious I tried the above and have now entered DROPGEOM mode. Which leaves me with a couple of questions.

1 - What is it?

2 - how do I escape it!

3 - why isn't it in the F1 help file?

Tried the ESC button? :) :beer:

Surprisingly little information about it in the program, lots about it if you GOOGLE.

DROPGEOM is basically the same as Windows Drag-n-drop. When an object is selected, you can "drag" it to another location simply by clicking on it with either mouse button without starting any other command, but you have no control over the distance/direction they are "dragged" beyond your ability to "eyeball" it's location on the screen. If you try to use an extended right-click as a way to de-select objects, what you're really doing is activating drag-n-drop, then trying to "drop" the object(s) in exactly the same location.

DROPGEOM is basically the same as Windows Drag-n-drop. When an object is selected, you can "drag" it to another location simply by clicking on it with either mouse button, but you have no control over the distance/direction they are "dragged" beyond your ability to "eyeball" it's location on the screen. If you try to use an extended right-click as "escape", what you're really doing is activating drag-n-drop, then trying to "drop" the object(s) in exactly the same location.

And if you are not using an extended right click, but merely selecting CANCEL from the right click menu? The red line was ended with the cancel from the right click menu. The black line was created first and using the ESC command after. :beer:

I rest my cancel case.jpg

With some mice you can program one of the buttons as ESC. It's funny though: I use an intellimouse optical 1.1A. If I use an old version of the mouse software (4.1 I believe), then I can program a button for ESC. With a new version of the same software that option is not available.

it seems to have cleared itself after restarting the program. :)

However this thread has revealed a problem one of my co-workers was having.

After I have kept the mouse button down and seen that it worked I clicked a line so that I could copy it but instead of getting my normal menu I got the ACADE one asking me to insert a hidden block (this is normal behaviour in ACADE when you try to add an electrical element). As I didn't want to add the hidden block I pressed and I thought my line had disappeared. On reflection it hadn't disappeared, it had just moved.

I thus replicated something somebody else in the office KEEPS having trouble with. We were never able to work out what he was doing. We still don't know but I guess its 'cause he sits on his right mouse button for too long.

I'm not aware of any disadvantage of using an extended right-click to end a command, but that's not the same as trying to use an extended right-click to de-select highlighted objects.

.... and no, I never did resolve that Options thing.... it still haunts me ...