How can I make an ESC button shortcut?

Currahee

With some mice you can program one of the buttons as ESC. It's funny though: I use an intellimouse optical 1.1A. If I use an old version of the mouse software (4.1 I believe), then I can program a button for ESC. With a new version of the same software that option is not available.

Yeah, you can't assign "Esc" directly, as it will escape out of Intellipoint, however you can still assign it as a macro.

Here's a video I made about 1 1/2 years ago, hopefully it still works the same...

Unable to display content. Adobe Flash is required.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nestly

• Dadgad

• dbroada

• Currahee

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, you can't assign "Esc" directly, as it will escape out of Intellipoint, however you can still assign it as a macro.

Here's a video I made about 1 1/2 years ago, hopefully it still works the same...

Unable to display content. Adobe Flash is required.

I found that assigning one of my 7 buttons (I thought it only had 6) on my Logitech m510 to the ESC key the easiest for me...when I held down the right key, although it worked they was a split second of lag time...and we all know how we hate lag time..LOL

No way dudes.... when you do it that way, you are activating DROPGEOM and no matter how careful you are, you're going to make some unintentional/unnoticed drag-n-drops.

I've been using this 100s of times a day since 2002 and have never had a problem with it. The trick is to not move your mouse while holding the right button.

I don't know if there is a difference between versions or if people have their mouse customized that is causing these problems. I have never had an issue with using the click & hold techniques on the mouse and I have never heard of the DROPGEOM issue either... I have been using this technique for clearing a selection set and moving & copying stuff out of the way (imprecisely of course) while using ACAD 2011, 12 & 13...

I have made a blog post about it to clarify as it is easier to add my animations on my blog as opposed to uploading them here in the order that I want them to be

http://autocadtips.wordpress.com/2012/05/24/using-your-mouse-to-move-copy-or-clear-a-selection-set/

Note that if you use the right click method to clear a selection set and you happen to move your cursor, you have just entered the copy method and will be prompted to move, copy, copy as a block or cancel. So there shouldn't be any accidental moving of objects...

Note that if you use the right click method to clear a selection set and you happen to move your cursor, you have just entered the copy method and will be prompted to move, copy, copy as a block or cancel. So there shouldn't be any accidental moving of objects...

Do it faster.... The right-click options do not appear immediately, yet the object is still moved (and de-selected) The moves in the animation are intentionally large so they can be seen, but it's also possible to make moves of a single pixel, which may not be visually detectable.

The red rings in the animation below indicate Left-click, and the blue rings indicate Right-clicks. They are automatically added by the Screen Capture program (Camtasia Studio)

DROPGEOM.gif

PS, I do have time-sensitive right-clicking enabled, but changing the delay time does not seem to influence the right-click DROPGEOM menu.

Edited by nestly

until today I had never used this method to "release" selected items, but if I do and I (even in another drawing) select a custom linetype a right click doesn't release the object, it calls up the dialogue box shown below.

and when I select "cancel" the line moves from where it was to the point on the cancel dialogue box.

So while this feature may not yet have affected you, there is still a chance it will.

DROPGEOM.JPG

Do it faster.... The right-click options do not appear immediately, yet the object is still moved (and de-selected) The moves in the animation are intentionally large so they can be seen, but it's also possible to make moves of a single pixel, which may not be visually detectable.

The red rings in the animation below indicate Left-click, and the blue rings indicate Right-clicks. They are automatically added by the Screen Capture program (Camtasia Studio)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34969[/ATTACH]

PS, I do have time-sensitive right-clicking enabled, but changing the delay time does not seem to influence the right-click DROPGEOM menu.

It's not supposed to be fast click...do it right or avoid doing it, as Nestly as so nicely demonstrated.

Good find there dbroada.

There seem to be 3 groups of users

1) Those who don't know about DROPGEOM but aren't affected by it because their mouse/pick habits don't inadvertently activate it.

2) Those who don't know about DROPGEOM and occasionally incur unintentional moves because the accidentally activate it.

3) Those who know about DROPGEOM, and know how to avoid the pitfalls, but also reap the benefits.

It was apparently added to AutoCAD in 2005, seems like there should be a variable to disable it (other than disabling PICKFIRST)

It's not supposed to be fast click...do it right or avoid doing it, as Nestly as so nicely demonstrated.

Here's the problem with that. We need to right/click on selected objects in AutoCAD all the time to access context sensitive right-click menus. If you happen to move your mouse slightly while right-clicking on highlighted object, you can move it unintentionally, and the move may be too small to detect visually. That may never happen to some users because their timing is such that it wouldn't happen, but there are plenty of forum posts at various AutoCAD forums with people complaining about unintentional drag/drop, and how to disable DROPGEOM.

My initial reply of "No way, dude" was too harsh. everyone should just be aware of the feature and make an informed decision.

Sounds like PEBKAC.

I agree, it's an operator induced error, who among us has never missed a click, or clicked on the wrong thing, or clicked too fast or too slow, and got the wrong right-click menu. In literal terms, if a right click lasts 249 milliseconds or less, you get a different option than if it lasts 250 ms.

Sounds like PEBKAC.
maybe so but I have already highlighted that I am not alone in our office to have suffered from this without knowing why. In my case I was following the advice offered here only to find I had a feature that I had no idea existed. I am now convinced my co-worker was for some reason keeping his finger down longer than necessary. Once I realised I had a problem I pressed F1 only to find nothing of relevance. Had nestly not highlighted the side effects I would be none the wiser.

I wonder if he was watching this thread.

I'm here. I'm also the one who suggested using this technique in post #5

I just hope that the OP found a method that works for him.

The serendipity of the internet:

Very good animated Gifs showing how this works...

Paul in post #24 troggarf mentions that he just posted those on his blog. :wink:

I'm here. I'm also the one who suggested using this technique in post #5

I just hope that the OP found a method that works for him.

I did and thanks for all the great insight everyone!!

Hello to All.

close to this topic how can i fixing a command (making shortcut ) in one in one of the tool bars in the workspace such as filter command (that i use it alot ).. in other command i can make it from right click on a bar (any bar) and select costomize.. afer i pull the command i find (in this case i cannot find "filter" command) and release it in the position i want on any bar... please if any one aware of this..thanks alot...