Invert pipe elevation with feet and fractional inches

Epicurwin

using AutoCAD MEP 2011 and 2012

I need start and end invert elevations for underground pipe. When I use start and end tags now, it shows as decimal feet. I need it as feet and fractional inches, any help?

I am not familiar with MEP, but typically on the PRIMARY UNITS tab in your DIMENSION STYLE dialog you will choose your dimension unit format from the drop down list. What you are after would be the ARCHITECTURAL format.

I am not sure if your start and end tags are blocks, or not, but assume that they will derive their dimensional unit formatting from the dimension style.

architectural unit format.jpg

I think it has something to do with the stylemanager and the property set definitions PipeInvertIn and PipeInvertOut.

Is this a stock Label, or is it a custom one you made?

If you go into the Style Manager > Documentation Objects > Label Curve Styles, choose the one you used. Go to the Label Style Annotation tab and look at which Property Set is being used.

With that info, now go to Documentation Objects > Property Set Definitions and choose the one you need. Click on the Definition tab, and choose the proper Definition. *TIP: It will be a Formula under the Type column* Double-click to open the Formula Property Definition and on the right column, there's a "Format" column. This is where you can adjust the Units to your liking.

See if this helps.

In the annotative tool pallete I'm using the stock start elevation and stock end elevation. I don't think these are considered labels, they are not found in the label curve styles. It is considered a tag.

I think the property set definitions I want are pipeinvertin and pipeinvertout. Each has a definition named Decimal_Feet_In(or Out) and has the source as [invert_In]/12. Is this what I have to change? I don't know how to get that into feet and fractional inches.

EDIT:

I copied "Elevation -Feet" in the Property Data Format and renamed it "Elevation- Feet- Fractional Inches and changed the unit format from decimal to architectural with 1/8" precision. I then edited the "Decimal_Feet_In" by removing the "/12" and I got the correct elevation.

Ah, you're right it's a Tag not a Label.

Okay so do this now.... click once on the Tag that you've already placed in the Drawing Space and open Properties. Click the "Extended Data" tab on the Properties Palette and it'll show you which Property Set Definition (aka PSD) that's being used. Now repeat the other steps in altering the Units of the PSD in the Style Manager.

:)

My dimensions and invert elevations aren't showing up in paper space. I also tried xrefing them into another drawing but they didn't show up in the xref. What is going on?

Tags are Annotative. Make sure the scale of the Viewport matches the applied Annotative Scaling. Clicking on the item and opening the Properties Palette is a quick way to check/change this, for the Dimensions you can apply this globally in the Dimension Style.

This is my first guess. See if that works. :)