Creating street surface model

John Devine

I am trying to create a model of a city street surface using Autocad 2013. I think that perhaps the "network" surface command might work.

Although the surface of a street looks simple, it is quite complex because of the need to drain the street of water. The corners are particularly difficult because the surface needs to be a continuous smooth curve while at the same time changing the direction of the surface slant.

I have attached a jpg of a model I created in Maya. I can export this to Autocad, but it is not particularly accurate and I need to create the model in Autocad at my job where they do not use Maya.

I would appreciate any suggestions as to how I might proceed. If the network command is not appropriate I could use any other ideas.

S-Curve Street Model.jpg

Are you experienced with Loft?

You might also investigate the Patch and Blend tools along with other Surface tools.

Edited by JD Mather

I have created lofts for this street surface model. I created 4 lofted surfaces with the intersection open. I the used a network to connect all four lofts. Then I blended the area where the loft and network edges meet. The result was ok, but I need to alter the bulge of the network and haven't had enough time to figure that out yet. Still the area that is most difficult to model is at the apex of the corner where the convex surface of the center of the street blends with the concave section at the apex of the corner

I will investigate the patch, maybe there is a way to use it.

Thank you for your suggestion.