render with a white background?

swats

How would I setup a render scene with a white background? Kind of like a photo studio? I am working on a project for a prototype vehicle that I need to do a presentation for. I want the vehicle to be the main focus. Thanks.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• swats

• FernandoLucchesi

• fahim108

• tzframpton

When you set the Camera where you want, type VIEW and save it as a Modelspace View. From the "New View / Shot Properties" dialog box you can save the background whatever color/gradient/image you want.

When I set the background as white, and then I try to render the render background is black? My lighting units is set to 1, I have full shadows turned on, sun status is on, sky and background illumination is on, materials/textures is on. Also is there a limitation on how large a render image can be? I 3300 x 2550 possible for photo printing?

There's something they use it as background on photo studios, i think it's called "backdrop", i don't know the exact name of it, but it is some kind of white fabric/plastic they hang on and let it slide to the floor on a smooth angle so it doesn't produces a critical shadow, i've used already to render some small objects... Here's the picture so you can try to create your own! Hope it helps!

Studio_Backdrop_good_version_by_Mr_Lobo.jpg

When I set the background as white, and then I try to render the render background is black? My lighting units is set to 1, I have full shadows turned on, sun status is on, sky and background illumination is on, materials/textures is on. Also is there a limitation on how large a render image can be? I 3300 x 2550 possible for photo printing?
You have to right-click on the Model View and click "Set Current". Try the rendering after that step.

I had some time to work on one of my drawings today. The first image (if it shows up) is a of a view with the sky and background turned on. The second image is with the background set to white. The materials look correct in the first image, but some look washed out in the second image. TANK2.jpeg

TANK1.jpeg

You'll need a backdrop as suggested by Fernando to get that render quality. Keep the sun (and sky-lighting) on and use a large white region as a backdrop for the model.

How does this look? The material I had chosen for the aluminum parts was reflecting the white background too much. I also added a floor for it as well. The model contains 103 solids, I set the render resolution to 3300 x 2550. It took 18 minutes to render. TANK5 REDUCED.jpg

Did you turn off the sky illumination option? The shadowed areas appear too dark, I think the Final Gather option is not enabled. Can you post your render settings along with the Sun and Sky settings?

The most recent problem I am having is that I have not figured out how to make a material that is white without any reflectivity to use for the floor. SUN SETTINGS.jpg

TANK8.jpeg

RENDER SETTINGS.jpg

The most recent problem I am having is that I have not figured out how to make a material that is white without any reflectivity to use for the floor.

Can you post the material properties?

Well, I think the last render you posted was perfect in terms of lighting.

For the material issue, you can always use the good-old "Global" material for the backdrop. Make sure you keep it (backdrop color) white before rendering. :geek:

Here are the material properties for my floor material. The second picture is with the floor material set at global. The third is when I changed the layer color for the floor to color 255, the layer color for the second picture is color 8. TANK10.jpeg

FLOOR SETTING.jpg

TANK9.jpeg

Easy way is to save your rendering as png.

This format contains alpha information.

The background will be white if viewed in Photoshop.

That is, if you dont' use a ground plane.

The shadows on the ground will be lost that way, of course.

Nice stuff by the way. Won't they elimate you for publishing? 8)

EDIT: SORRY: This works only with Maya. I mixed that up without testing.

Edited by Randolph
WRONG INFORMATION

Here are the material properties for my floor material. The second picture is with the floor material set at global. The third is when I changed the layer color for the floor to color 255, the layer color for the second picture is color 8. [ATTACH=CONFIG]35199[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]35201[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]35200[/ATTACH]

So, i'm not really familiar with your version of autocad, but in the material editor you should set the "shininess" and/or "reflection" to "0". This will help you to get rid of the reflections...

config.png

Ok. I just played with this some more, I am running out of ideas. Does anyone use white in there renders? Is there a way I could post my cad file if someone wants to take a look at it? The file is about 8.5 meg.

Hi swats, thanks for the file.

I made a small render and imported it into GIMP, in my opinion that's the only way to get a clean background.

I created a small video off it:http://youtu.be/AsApCr2uWQA watch it in 720p HD, to see the effect !!!

I hope this is useful for you, as you can see it's done in a few seconds.

render3temp.png

If you don't want shadows on the ground, select your ground plane, go to the PROPERTIES EDITOR > 3D VISUALISATION > SHADOW DISPLAY > IGNORE SHADOWS.

• 2 months later...

This happens because for some reason the materials that reflect will reflect the background color. I had this same problem with a stand alone architectural detail that had glass in it. When I tried to make the background white, all of my glass turned white as well (because it was reflecting the background). There has to be a way to toggle this - does anyone know?

Why did AutoCad change this? I haven't used Acad to render since a few releases ago, but I have never encountered this problem before. Anyone know any 'background' on this?;)