Customizing AutoCAD 2011

Kelly-cruise

Hi I am working in an events organisation that uses AutoCAD to do room drawings for clients. the Event managers are new to CAD and only need to have access to move tables and chairs around a drawing. So we have set them up with pallets.

I have created a profile with the workspace they need on the network, I having trouble getting the customised profile to come up as the default, instead the Vanilla profile comes up and I have to go into options to change the profile to the Company one.

Where do I need to change it so that it chooses the profile I have made first?

or should I be doing this a different way?

Michael.

Right click on the shortcut ICON for the program and open PROPERTIES to access the path for the shortcut.

You want to add /p SEATING for instance to the end of the path, which is known as a STARTUP SWITCH.

Seating should be replaced with the name of the PROFILE which you want to be targeted and opened as the default.

Additionally if you wanted you could create a base drawing upon which the organizers should work, and once you are

happy with it you can save it as FILE TYPE .dwt .

If appropriate that newly created and saved template could be set as the default template, so that upon opening Autocad it would default to the

TEMPLATE and PROFILE deemed best.

This could also be done with a STARTUP SWITCH.

If you want to do that you would set it in OPTIONS > FILES > TEMPLATES > DEFAULT TEMPLATE FOR QNEW.

Browse to the template you want, then click OK.

In that way whenever the NEW icon is selected on the MENU BAR that template will be opened. :)

setting qnew template.JPG

Edited by Dadgad

I believe the OP is after the profile ("/p") startup switch, in the application icon, Dadgad. :thumbsup:

Example:

"C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2013\acad.exe"  /p "[color=red]SomeProfileName[/color]"

HTH

Yeah, I thought I addressed that in the first 2 lines, though I guess I could have said it better.

I just thought that the TEMPLATE selection might prove helpful too. :)

Dadgad and Renderman,

Thank you for those suggestions I will give them a try, Yes I am looking at the template avenue, however the environment they have to work in to call up base drawings I don't think supports dwt files.

Will let you know how I go.

Cheers

Michael.

Yeah, I thought I addressed that in the first 2 lines...

Now that's just sloppy of me... I was distracted by the picture of Options dialog, and went on to post. The kindness of your tact is greatly appreciated. :)

Apparently working two jobs is affecting me more than I've allowed myself to believe. :sleeping:

Dadgad and Renderman,

Thank you for those suggestions I will give them a try, Yes I am looking at the template avenue, however the environment they have to work in to call up base drawings I don't think supports dwt files.

Will let you know how I go.

Cheers

Michael.

Just to be clear, every drawing in Autocad is created on a TEMPLATE (unless you know how to do it FROM SCRATCH). :)

So when you start a new drawing a predesignated TEMPLATE (.dwt file) will be opened in the program, although it will be opened as a .dwg file.

Meaning that if the employees in question are using any AUTOCAD product they should be able to use such a .dwt file (your template, if you will).

You can turn any .dwg file into a .dwt file, in the SAVE AS "FILE TYPE" dialog. So if you have a particular drawing that you feel is exemplary, without

destroying the original drawing file, you could create a template from it.

Glad it seems to be working out for you.