Urgent scale problems

Hi

Im new to this so i hope im in the right place.

Ive been an auto-cad user for over a year but am still having the same problems, i wonder if anyone can help.

I have drawn a number of construction drawings in model space, and i thought i had done them to scale.

However i have to zoom in to the fullest extent to see them, then when i go to paper space my view port scales are at 100:1 rather than 1:20 or 1:50.

I know its something to do with my scaling setup but i cant figure it out. Is there anything i can do with my drawing now to correct it so they become the right scale?

Any help would be so greatly appreciated :)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ara09lf

• ReMark

• Blackfish

• Tiger

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi and welcome to the forums.

First some followup questions.

Do you draw in meters, millimeters or inches?

How does your Page Setup / Plot window look? Do you have plot scale set to 1:1? What size is your paper?

And btw, where are you from? What kind of work do you do? Just curious :)

If you draw everything in model space 1:1, you will have 'normal' scales (1:20, 1:50) in paper space.

So, if your drawing is smaller than 1:1 in model space just scale it. Use SCALE command, any base point and multiply by number to get your elements 1:1, i.e. if you drew 1:100 you need to multiply by 100.

In model space my scale icon is at 1:1, ive drawn mainly in meters but switched half way through for some smaller areas. My paper size is A1.

If you draw in meters, you have to calculate what scale you set on your viewport. This is because the Paper Space is still in millimeters. So if you need a scale at 1:5 in the end, you need to set the scale as 200:1 on the viewport.

if you draw in millimeters, then you can set the scale 'normally' on the viewport as Blackfish said.

If you can upload your drawing here, someone might take a look at it and give you more advice.

As I said you have to scale your drawing using SCALE command, just type SCALE in command line, press Enter, and follow about what AutoCAD is asking, so next is base point... click on screen and then type: 1000, because your drawing is in meters and should be in mm. After that you have to adjust your dimension style (set 'Scale factor' to 0.001 and 'Overall scale" to 1000 and slightly adjust the rest as you want) and reset scale of all viewports as desired.

If you need any help more just ask. However you should try to do it yourself... you will more happy at the end of the day :D

PS.

And always draw 1:1, what means in millimeters (or inches) and then set your desired scale in paper space when plotting.

I understand the scale bit. I cant figure out the dimension bit, how do i change the scale factor and overall scale? are we talking model space or paper space?

Im really sorry. Ive just done this and after i scale the drawing in the first step, my entire drawing disappears :S

So you haven't been able to rescale the drawing so that it is full size in model space?

What scale did you draw it at to begin with?

Remember that you are not drawing in CAD as you would on a drafting board. You do not have to "draw to scale". You draw everything full size whether it is a paper clip or the QE2. After drawing your objects in model space then you switch to a paper space layout and utilize viewports to see what you drew back in model space. Think of a viewport like a window. It is these viewports that a scale gets assigned to. Text and dimensions can go in either model space or in your layout. Each requires a slightly different method.

No becasue as soon as i enter 1000 in scale and press enter the entire thing disappears. It seems impossible. I might just zoom really far in on my viewports and just not assign anything a scale. Thanks for all your help.

That is not an acceptable solution to the problem. If you are just going to "fudge" it then why bother using CAD at all?

No becasue as soon as i enter 1000 in scale and press enter the entire thing disappears. It seems impossible. I might just zoom really far in on my viewports and just not assign anything a scale. Thanks for all your help.
my advice is to take a deep breath with maybe a nice cup of typhoo.

THEN, read and listen to REMARK. Treat him nicely and he will be your friend.

Im currently still trying to solve it, have been for about 6 hours and the deadline is tomorrow. Im really not very good with CAD and its all a bit overwhelming to understand. I just cant see another way to solve it.

And to answer you question above, if i had the choice i would not be using CAD at all, but unfortunately this particular situation requires me to.

'Zoom Extents' and you should see the drawing in Model Space. And then in Paper Space set your viewport scales to 1:1, 1:10 etc. as required. Just one click on outline and change properties (CTRL+1).

I don't understand why you multiplied by 1000 when in a previous post someone suggested multiplying by 100.

You say you drew some objects based on meters and other objects based on millimeters. How do we know which objects were drawn to which scale?

By the way, you should be making better use of layers. You have two layers currently (Defpoints is created automatically by AutoCAD when dimensions are used). The layers are "0" and "dashed lines". I suggest that you use layers named after individual objects and assign each an unique color so they can be readily distinguished from one another.

In Layout1, if the OP sets the viewport scale to 1:1 the resultant image is quite small. 8:1 makes it appear larger but 100:1 makes it too large to fit within the viewport.

Layout2 the viewport scale is 24.89 which is totally bogus.

The layout named VIEWPOERTS is just insane. None of the viewports utilize a "normal" scale and viewports that show the same object, but two different views, don't even match up scale-wise. First we need to get everything back in model space depicted in their actual size. Once that is done then we can move to the first layout and set it up as it should be.

Thanks so much everyone its worked!! :) :) :)

When i did zoom extents it showed me where the drawing had gone so now i can sale all my view ports seperatly.

THANKS SOOOOOO MUCH!!!!