I can't subtract a cylinder from a wedge and a region/surface

sarandeeb

Dear CADTutor members,

I have an assignment. I've done all the work until i reached the end of it which is adding 2 cylinders to a weird looking object.

anyway, I'm trying to put the cylinder which shares a space between a wedge and a region but I'm unable to subtract it. :(

Anyone can help me with this, Please?

Best Regards,

Sarandeeb

Drawing2.dwg

CAD_exercise_1.pdf

A quick check of your drawing shows that you have used a variety of entities to construct your object such as a solid, regions, lines and surfaces. For this to be done correctly I believe the object should be one complete solid.

WhatAMess.jpg

I took your object apart to show you all the surfaces (they look like a mesh), regions, three solids and a host of individual lines that went into its creation. I'm not sure who taught you this technique but it is not correct.

3D_Wedge2.jpg

A slightly different view.

You'll need to reorient your UCS so you can create the two holes on the sloped face of your object. Extrude the two circles through your object then subtract them to create the holes. Is that clear?

Addendum: In my haste to post the above images I totally missed the fact that the holes do not go all the way through the object. They are 10 units in depth. Sorry.

well, I don't know how to create one object like yours in order to subtract the cylinders.

I've taken the AutoCAD courses very long time ago. This unit I'm taking, requires AutoCAD drawing but I'm unable to remember the methods I used to create complex 3d shapes. Unfortunately.

Yours looks much smoother and I'd like to know how did you do it?

:(

Here's a little demo showing how to construct it as one object. I added a couple construction lines to created the "wedge" for demonstration purposes that I wouldn't have normally needed. I also used two different methods for putting the holes in the tapered face. (Cylinder > Subtract then Circle > PressPULL) Also note that Dynamic Input was enabled, which is what allowed the cylinder/circle to be drawn directly on the tapered face.

Hope this helps, and welcome to Cadtutor.

nestly's video is AMAZING.

LOL. I've been trying to do it part by part just like a lego toy for hours. I can't believe it.

Thank you ReMark and nestly for your amazing support.