Revcloud linetype

barry2104

Hi all

I'm not sure if this is at all possible, but if you know either way, please provide insight!

I wonder whether any of you have a LINETYPE you could share (preferably as a dwg, or alternatively share the code with me?). this would be more useful than a REVCLOUD element, as it would be not only faster to draw, but would also overcome SCALE problems.

at the moment i have a plan drawing with some amended areas clouded. I also have detailed drawings (different scale, i.e. 1:50 instead of 1:500) of some particular/tricky areas, in which I also want to see these revclouds. At the moment all I can think of is to have to create two separate REVCLOUD elements and assign each to a different layer (one for the 500 and one for the 50 scales), so i can turn them off/on where required.

BUT if i had a LINETYPE, which displayed a continuously cloudy-looking boundary, then I would avoid a lot of mess.

Ideally I'd simply type in PL (Polyline), trace my around amendment-boundary, then assign this polyline this new linetype/layer property and it would be finished, and would automatically adjust the curve length of each of the cloud puffs whenever I adjust the scale.

is this at all possible??

You can try to do one starting from built-in ZIG-ZAG linetype – should become familiar with the syntax of SHP (shape) files.

Civil 3D has a Treeline linetype that may be what you want. It's in the AeccLand definition file. The catch is that you have to specify a right-hand or left-hand style, which means you always have to draw your clouds clockwise or counterclockwise.

It is quite easy to write a linetype which consists of semi-circles. But there could be drawbacks in using it and then passing on your drawing to others.

First of all, you would have to define a shape in the form of code

00C,(1,0,127),0

. Then you have to compile the shape, then you have to write the linetype using that shape. Then you can draw the line which will respond to a change in the linetype scaling.

Now a few of the not quite so nice features. If your linetype is made up of shapes only, then there will be a closing gap of up to the width of the shape.

When you pas your drawing to others, then when they open up the drawing, the linetype refers to a shape which is not in their machine, so they don't see your beautifully crafted linetype. To get over this, you have to send the shape file, or explode the line, which rather defeats the whole exercise.

But knowing the pitfalls, I am sure you can overcome them :D

Here is an edge of vegetation linetype posted before

CurvyLinetype.jpg