Cant log into windows.... Need to reformat.... Want to transfer license first... How?

MikeP

Ok, my computer has been corrupted and I cannot log into windows. Im able to access all my files using a back up software we have at work. I would like to, if possible transfer the CAD license to a thumb drive. The only way i know to do so is to use the Portable License Utility. But I cannot log into to do so. Can I simply find the license as a file on the computer and copy it to a thumb drive, or is it not that easy?

Assuming you could transfer the license to a thumb drive what were you planning on doing then?

use the portable license utility to import to the newly formatted computer

I wouldn't even bother. I think you'll be able to get an authorization code no problem. And if you don't you have 30 days before the program locks up which will be more than enough time to explain in an email to the AutoDesk techs what the problem was and why you had to install 2009 anew. Been there and done that. It took two days for a response which included a new authorization code.

I wouldn't even bother. I think you'll be able to get an authorization code no problem. And if you don't you have 30 days before the program locks up which will be more than enough time to explain in an email to the AutoDesk techs what the problem was and why you had to install 2009 anew. Been there and done that. It took two days for a response which included a new authorization code.

yea, thats true. I was hoping I could avoid doing that... thanks though.

Yes, I kind of figured that but at least you have a backup plan in case you are unable to transfer the license. Wish I could tell you how to do that but I have never bothered to use the Portable License Utility for all the times I moved AutoCAD from one computer to another either at home or at work. Good luck though.

Yes, I kind of figured that but at least you have a backup plan in case you are unable to transfer the license. Wish I could tell you how to do that but I have never bothered to use the Portable License Utility for all the times I moved AutoCAD from one computer to another either at home or at work. Good luck though.

how do you normally go about moving the license?

There should be no issue at all installing it on a new computer. AutoDesk realizes people have to buy new computers once in a while. In fact the terms of use allow you to install a single seat license on two computers at the same time, just not to be used simultaniously.

Just stick it on a new computer as a new install. your prior registration with AutoDesk (There is one, right?) should validate your ownership and get you a new key before you can finish reading all these posts.