Cannot reinstall AutoCAD Map 3D 2009 after accidentally deleting installation folder.

Timeout

While cleaning off an external hard drive I managed to delete my AutoCAD Map 3D installation folder from my workstation (distracted by a phone call). It wasn't in the Recycle bin, it was deleted. OK, just reinstall I thought. But the setup on the installation DVD tells me AutoCAD is already installed, and I can't get past that. I went to Control Panel, Add/Remove programs and it told me AutoCAD was not installed and gave me no options to repair or complete the uninstall. So I'm stuck.

My old 2009 software was supplied via Autodesk subscription and I have not renewed because I retired soon after that. But I like to help the community and wildlife groups I belong to with occasional mapping tasks so I really would like to get my software up and running. Do I need to mess with the registry? :cry:

I am running Windows XP (32-bit I presume). Everthing worked well before my deletion accident.

Hi Timeout

If you have Map 2008 you could try installing that and then 2009, worked for me when I tried to install 2012 on a new CAD free PC.

Did you check your system for a RESTORE point that predates your accidental deletion of the installation folder?

Hi ReMark, I probably don't have a system restore point that I can use. But the suggestion from 7ames has done the trick for me. Thanks 7ames for your advice. The 2008 version installed OK (it's obviously not too fussy), and then I restarted, went to Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs, and selected AutoCAD Map 3D 2008 from the list, clicked on Change/Remove, and that brought up the AutoCAD Map 3D 2008 Installation Wizard - Maintenance Mode which I used to reinstall AutoCAD Map 3D 2009 from its distribution DVD. Probably a bit of a mess because I suspect I should have thoroughly uninstalled 2008 before installing 2009. Did not have the courage. But 2009 starts and runs OK. I will do some research on the Autodesk site to try and find what tidying up should be done now.

I have a registration issue now that I will have to bludgeon my way through (activation code not accepted - four times) but that's another story. I have sent an email asking for help with that.

Thank you both for your interest and assistance. An example for us all. I am continually amazed by the willingness of people to lend a hand to total strangers in need. :D

The activation code rejection doesn't surprise me all that much but I doubt that you'll have much trouble proving you are legit. The last time that happened to me it took two business days to get squared away. Luckily you have 30 days within which to get your code.

Glad to hear that the advice 7ames gave worked for you. He might want to consider posting a revised version of it in the Tips and Tricks forums.

The members of this forum endeavor to help whenever and wherever needed. I'm sure you would do the same thing for a fellow AutoCAD user as well.

Cheers :)

Glad I could help, will take ReMark’s advice and post something on the tips and tricks forum. Good luck with the registration.

Cheers