Maintaining JPEG Paths

David Devitt

Hello Forum,

I prepare drawings for a client which include .jpeg images as part of the final product. The problem is: When I work on these drawings from my home office, I need to re-establish the .jpeg's path in order to work on the drawing. Then when I send these drawing files back to my client, they need to re-establish the .jpeg's path on their end in order to display the drawing properly. My client and I would like very much to be able to avoid this "re-establishing paths" step, where we can each open the drawing file on our computers and immediately see the jpeg image as part of the drawing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated - thanks! - Dave

Thanks Mircea. Unfortunately, I don't fully understand how to choose "Relative Path" instead of "Full Path". Can you please clarify this process a bit for me? Is this something that I can change in the .jpeg's "setting" now, without having to re-insert it?

Thanks again - Dave

Seems that the option isn't availble in Properties, so I'm afraid that you should re-insert them. Will check later for you to see if this cannot be solved by AutoLISP.

Thank you Mircea, any additional information (AutoLISP) would be greatly appreciated - especially if it works!

Dave

Just found the solution: call Reference Manager tool (will find it in Start --> Programs --> Autodesk --> AutoCAD 20?? -- > Reference Manager), load the drawing(s) containing the images you want to edit their path to relative and change the Saved Path entry to "." (dot). The said field should contain the full path now.

Edited by MSasu
Spelling

• 5 months later...

Hi, I am returning to a thread that I began back in June - hopefully this is easy enough for someone to pick up on. It is my understanding that when using "relative path" for jpeg insertion that the jpeg not only needs to exist on my computer, it needs to reside on my clients computer also. Therefore, I have created a subfolder on my computer which contains the CAD drawing and the jpeg that is attached to it. I have also created a subfolder on my clients computer which contains the same CAD drawing and the jpeg that is attached to it. However, when the drawing file is accessed at my clients computer, the jpeg does not appear. Can somebody help me with solving this dilemma?

It should work. If the client is opening the file as an email attachment or not saving it in the correct location it wouldn't work.

Try the e-transmit tool and see if he can get it to work with that.

Hi Mircea. This reply goes back to a discussion that I began last June, in which you assisted me with. My client and I finally had an opportunity to put "relative path" vs. "full path" to the test, regarding jpeg files. The "relative path" approach works great; my client and I thank you very much for the guidance you have given us!

• 1 month later...

Regarding the use of "Relative Path": Sometimes I receive an error message that reads: "Relative Path Cannot Be Assigned". Can someone help me understand what needs to be done to allow "Relative Path" to be used?

I have found that if the jpg is in the same folder as the drawing, then AutoCAD will look in the current folder before it goes hunting elsewhere. :D

Thanks Rob, I will give that a try. I too have found, from time to tme, that saving my drawing usually allows the relative path thing to work. When it doesn't next time, I will try the "close and reopen" approach.