Adjust Image Size Using Grips

SB-cad

Hi all.

Here's another item that no longer works after our office-wide computer and CAD upgrade ... to Win 7 / ACAD 2013 ...

We regularly use screen-shot .bmp images from a map site to do our location maps ... and .bmp images for a rendering on the cover sheet. Once the images are edited, cropped / etc. as we want, using a photo program, then saved to the project folder, we insert them to the CAD file. We use the GRIPS to dynamically adjust the image size, snapping to line work.

Problem ... no more GRIPS. We can no longer figure out how to dynamically adjust the image size. Imageframe is set to "1". We could do math calculations to get it sized ... but ... we didn't have to do that with ACAD 2009 on WinXP.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Steve

Can you see the frame, or is that missing along with the grips

You may check if the FRAME (3) and FRAMESELECTION (1) variables have been altered. (default values shown in parentheses)

Yes, I can see the frame.

I checked your other suggestions ... FRAME (3) and FRAMESELECTION (1) variables had not been altered. Just in case, I tested other variables to see if it made a difference. Nope. I then set everything back to default.

Here's another item that no longer works after our office-wide computer and CAD upgrade ... to Win 7 / ACAD 2013 ...

We regularly use screen-shot .bmp images from a map site to do our location maps ... and .bmp images for a rendering on the cover sheet. Once the images are edited, cropped / etc. as we want, using a photo program, then saved to the project folder, we insert them to the CAD file. We use the GRIPS to dynamically adjust the image size, snapping to line work.

Problem ... no more GRIPS. We can no longer figure out how to dynamically adjust the image size. Imageframe is set to "1". We could do math calculations to get it sized ... but ... we didn't have to do that with ACAD 2009 on WinXP.

Well, that stinks. Apparently Autodesk didn't bother asking anyone who uses that feature before they dropped it. Or they changed it to nondefault behavior.

In that situation another option is using the Align command. You'll need at least two points that correspond. Pick one point in the image and the corresponding point in the drawing. Do the same for a second pair of points. You can finish there or pick a third pair of points. Finally, specify whether you want scaling as well as rotating.

Ok. I tried the ALIGN command. That works decent ... and easier than doing the math.

If the grips thing doesn't get resolved, this will have to be our new way to size the .bmps.

Thanks!

I have grips on images (bmps) when I insert/attach them in (vanilla) 2013. Can you post a sample drawing?

Sure...

Well ... I tried. This site would not let me upload a. zip file (the CAD file and (2) .bmps) ... "Upload of file failed". I tried the individual files ... the CAD file uploaded, but it called the .bmps "Invalid File".

Let's try this...

http://www.cornergreer.com/_FILE_TRANSFER/CadTutor/AutocadGrips01.zip

I have grips on images (bmps) when I insert/attach them in (vanilla) 2013. Can you post a sample drawing?

Uh ... I tried to. The post didn't post.

Edit: It now posted ... the one displayed before this one.

Edited by SB-cad

If you uploaded it as a hyperlink, it may be in queue waiting for a moderator to approve it. If it's under 500KB, you should be able to upload it as an attachment by clicking the "Go Advanced" button under the Quick Reply window.

If you uploaded it as a hyperlink, it may be in queue waiting for a moderator to approve it. If it's under 500KB, you should be able to upload it as an attachment by clicking the "Go Advanced" button under the Quick Reply window.

Ok. That explains why things were not working. I got errors in attempting to upload a zip file ... then errors w/ the individual .bmp files ... all over 500 kb. I then uploaded to our web server, with a hyperlink. Guess we'll just have to wait.

Must be something local, I get grips on both images

RasterImageFrame.gif

edit, I found a post at the Autodesk forums where Sketchbook Designer caused grips not to appear on Raster frames in 2012, so I wonder if you have a conflict with another app, or maybe it's something in ACA vs AutoCAD?

Edited by nestly

... I found a post at the Autodesk forums where Sketchbook Designer caused grips not to appear on Raster frames in 2012, so I wonder if you have a conflict with another app, or maybe it's something in ACA vs AutoCAD?

We have Sketchbook Designer 2013, along w/ Revit 2013 and several others as part of our upgrade suite. We're going to start using Revit soon. I'm not really wanting to do that!!!

... image selected without any grips present and enable grips check box unchecked

I can select the image, no grips present. I have played with the various grips check boxes (there are several more than in your 2010 or my old 2009). Still no luck.

Here's some more info, and suggestions to unload Sketchbook to see if that's what's causing the grips not to display. Both of these reference 2012, not 13 and neither is a "solution" but it may help isolate the source.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2012/Raster-Image-Cpipping-Boundary-No-Grips/td-p/3114004

http://beinginventive.typepad.com/being-inventive/2011/10/grips-not-available-for-some-entities-in-autocad-mechanical-2012.html

Here's some more info, and suggestions to unload Sketchbook to see if that's what's causing the grips not to display...

Yup, Sketchbook is the problem. I unloaded the add-on per the folder-renaming suggestion from the "beinginventive" forum ... the grips are back!

I'll have to post something to the AutoDesk forum, just so they know that they have another customer that is having problems with this.

Thank y'all so much for the time you put into tracking down the problem! Now, if AutoDesk will just fix it!!!