Scaffolding design. Scaffolder (and complete CAD Newbie) here looking to learn CAD

Gwilym

Hi everyone,

I'm a scaffy looking to learn how to design scaffolds in CAD. Im completely new to CAD and have no idea where to start. I have a killer mac with 2 x 30' cinema displays so i have that bit sorted, but I'm not sure what software I should be looking at. I like the look of Autodesk and would like to continue onto plant design once i have mastered the scaff part, so was thinking i should stick with the same software?

Anyone with any information they would like to pass on would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Gwilym:)

Hi Gwilym, welcome to the forum. :)

What sort of scaffolding we talking here?

What sort of sections do you anticipate using?

High rise or .........

Bamboo?

Sorry, we see a lot of that here in Asia, I can probably answer that one for you.

Autocad is pretty PC-centric, and has been since the beginning.

Only recently have they started to design for MAC again.

There are ways to work around that bias though.

If you are doing scaffolding I should think that you would likely be able to move through 2D pretty quickly

and get into 3D modeling of systems without too much difficulty.

This based on the assumption that you would have a fair number of basic parts which would routinely be reconfigured as needed.

If you are just starting to get your feet wet with the software, I would suggest to you to start with the first link (http://www.we-r-here.com/cad/) listed on this site as the most visited.

Very good fundamental instruction starting from zero and building logically through a good set of basic skills.

Once you start to get into the swing of things, there are very good video tutorials on this site, and elsewhere online.

Wow, two 30 foot screens, I guess that pretty well rules out an AIRBOOK then! :beer:

There are a handful of scaffolding design programs out there but they are going to cost you. What is your budget?

If you are in the UK, then I recommend that you do your City & Gilds in 2D CAD at night school.

AutoCAD should be fine - it is used everywhere in the UK construction industry. However, AutoCAD for Mac is a different kettle of fish. I recommend that you get hold of the PC trail version of AutoCAD and run it via parallels or bootcamp.

Autodesk have a programme called Plant 3D that you could look into, however I believe that Microstaion are also pretty big in this area. I can only suggest that you look into some of the companies that you would like to work for - phone 'em up and ask what they are using!

Hi Dadgad,

Im a leading hand Rigger/Scaffolder currently working in the mining industry doing shutdowns for BHP/Rio Tinto etc. We work with quick-stage & tube & fit scaffolding. A lot of the jobs we do just require handrails & ladder access's etc, however some jobs are a bigger & bit more technical and are performed say twice a year. What I would like to do is to be able to make a database of these bigger jobs so that future shutdowns can be run safer and more efficiently ie. we know what's involved in the job and what gear is needed so we can have it ready to go for when the plant is shut down and we can get stuck into it no time wasted, as opposed to sitting around all morning/day falling asleep and losing interest waiting for the plant to be isolated etc. The company I work for also do city jobs (highrise) too.

Thanks for your reply

Gwilym

Hi Gwilym, welcome to the forum. :)

What sort of scaffolding we talking here?

What sort of sections do you anticipate using?

High rise or .........

Bamboo?

Sorry, we see a lot of that here in Asia, I can probably answer that one for you.

Autocad is pretty PC-centric, and has been since the beginning.

Only recently have they started to design for MAC again.

There are ways to work around that bias though.

If you are doing scaffolding I should think that you would likely be able to move through 2D pretty quickly

and get into 3D modeling of systems without too much difficulty.

This based on the assumption that you would have a fair number of basic parts which would routinely be reconfigured as needed.

If you are just starting to get your feet wet with the software, I would suggest to you to start with the first link (http://www.we-r-here.com/cad/) listed on this site as the most visited.

Very good fundamental instruction starting from zero and building logically through a good set of basic skills.

Once you start to get into the swing of things, there are very good video tutorials on this site, and elsewhere online.

Wow, two 30 foot screens, I guess that pretty well rules out an AIRBOOK then! :beer: