New Bungalow extension in the UK help

daft vader

I am very near to buying my retirement bungalow, it needs some work and one part would be to extend the kitchen out the back to make room for a dining room and will also an allow exit to the garden for partys etc.

My question is how much will it cost to have building regulation drawings drawn up, I know I do not need planning permission as I have already checked.

I could do with a bit of professional help with my rather crude drawing I have uploaded it is based on the internal room sizes I have got from the estate agents web site, as you can see my extension is less then 3mts out to comply with planning and I am thinking ether a patio door or maybe a bi-folding door to exit towards the garage, the roof will just be a flat roof construction

Bungalow plan.dwg

Edited by daft vader

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dadgad

• daft vader

• ReMark

• hugha

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Flat roof? Not a shed roof?

You sure like your doors don't you? I'd open things up a little by eliminating a door or two.

So the room to the bottom right is going to be used for a dining room?

Bi-fold doors on an exterior wall towards the garage?

Did you know that...

Some of your lines aren't quite straight?

Some of your lines overlap others?

Some of your lines do not match up with the endpoints of other lines?

Some of your dimensions do not match up with your geometry?

Flat roof? Not a shed roof?

You sure like your doors don't you? I'd open things up a little by eliminating a door or two.

So the room to the bottom right is going to be used for a dining room?

Bi-fold doors on an exterior wall towards the garage?

Sounds like the dining room will be at the back of the extension, closest to the garage.

I agree about all those doors, and a flat roof might be asking for trouble.

How many bedrooms is that meant to be?

Is the largest room next to the kitchen to be a bedroom?

LOL Remark I did say"my rather crude drawing" as for all the doors I didnt design the building it is what it is I am just adding a room off the kitchen to allow a dining table

the bottom right room is the lounge the two rooms on the left are the two bedrooms, the room to the left of the kitchen is the bathroom.

do you think that a roof taken into the old roof would work ? as there is no cable ends to this building it slopes from the centre to all 4 outside walls like a pyramid

I'd create an opening between the kitchen/dining area and the "lounge". Where are the bedroom closets?

The trouble with a flat roof is even in your country it would have to be designed to carry a snow load plus you have to worry about getting the rain off the roof. Had you given that any thought?

The correct terminology is "gable" ends (like a triangle). The roof you describe is called a pyramid hip roof here in the U.S.

Do you have any roof heights? What is the ceiling height? What is the height from the ground to the eave?

To accommodate your new layout I think you will have to significantly alter the roof especially in the area of your new lounge.

There seems to be a significant difference between the existing and new layouts in terms of where walls and doors fall. Were you really planning on making that many structural changes or is there something wrong with the two plan views? What I did is make a block out of the existing layout and drop it over the new layout. I used the upper left hand corner of the building at the base point. The two do not match up in areas where rightfully they should. How can that be?

The key to any good renovation plan would be accurate "before" and "after" plans showing what will be retained, demolished and added. Your contractor should have a clear idea of what it is you want to do before proceeding with any work. If there is a problem along the way because the plans were inaccurate your renovation project costs are going to balloon out of control. Your retirement bungalow is going to become a money pit.

There seems to be a significant difference between the existing and new layouts in terms of where walls and doors fall. Were you really planning on making that many structural changes or is there something wrong with the two plan views? What I did is make a block out of the existing layout and drop it over the new layout. I used the upper left hand corner of the building at the base point. The two do not match up in areas where rightfully they should. How can that be?

The new plan is rotated 270 degrees from the original.

I was blind now I can see! Funny!

Thanks nestly.

First thing I'd do is move that entrance door further to the left. No need to have that much space behind the door when it opens. And I would still consider having an opening between the kitchen and the "lounge" (what we Americans might call the "living" room). Who wants to walk through a doorway, turn a corner then walk through another doorway to go between the lounge and the kitchen?

I was blind now I can see! Funny!

Thanks nestly.

First thing I'd do is move that entrance door further to the left. No need to have that much space behind the door when it opens. And I would still consider having an opening between the kitchen and the "lounge" (what we Americans might call the "living" room). Who wants to walk through a doorway, turn a corner then walk through another doorway to go between the lounge and the kitchen?

I don't get these AEC objects, they have no dynamic attributes was trying to put in doors, not working, but the new roof (if I understood your description of the existing roof) could look like either the blue or the red lines in this plan view, to match the existing pitches and roof without having to redo the bulk of it, just tying into the original one.. The red offering another 1 1/2 meters of shade and weather protection to the back doors which obviously wouldn't open out, but I couldn't get them to flip or rotate or anything.

Definitely put in double wide door opening into the kitchen, without the doors.

alternate roof treatment.JPG

Dadgad that a good design, it would be easy to change,I take it the red lines would be a overhanging roof line yes? that could be good for shade in the summer as that is facing west so it's sunny in the afternoon.

BTW i do not draw plans I only ever alter existing drawings, so yes its a mess that's why I am asking for help here, I do not even know what "AEC objects" are.

Remark we do not have bedroom closets as a rule they are free standing wardrobes, if you check out the floor plan there are only 2 cupboards in the building, and even that is a lot as most modern bungalows over don't have any at all as we found out while house hunting, I just wished I lived in your counrty as I could buy a lot bigger house/bungalow over in the USA for less money then here thats for sure, only today on the tv that were showing a holiday bungalow in florida with 3 beds with unsuites and a really big lounge kitchen etc for £65,000 its me costing £165,000 for my 2 bed as it is on the plans.

I have turned the orignal plan around now sorry about that

Bungalow plan.dwg

Edited by daft vader

Dadgad:

Were you thinking "French" doors where you have indicated double doors?

That's still a lot of doors. I'd eliminate one set but keep the wider opening as it is more inviting. Take your pick.

Dadgad that a good design, it would be easy to change,I take it the red lines would be a overhanging roof line yes? that could be good for shade in the summer as that is facing west so it's sunny in the afternoon.

BTW i do not draw plans I only ever alter existing drawings, so yes its a mess that's why I am asking for help here, I do not even know what "AEC objects" are.

Remark we do not have bedroom closets as a rule they are free standing wardrobes, if you check out the floor plan there are only 2 cupboards in the building, and even that is a lot as most modern bungalows over don't have any at all as we found out while house hunting, I just wished I lived in your counrty as I could buy a lot bigger house/bungalow over in the USA for less money then here thats for sure, only today on the tv that were showing a holiday bungalow in florida with 3 beds with unsuites and a really big lounge kitchen etc for £65,000 its me costing £165,000 for my 2 bed as it is on the plans

Without knowing anything about your roof, except that it was pretty close to square I added a 500mm overhang from the exterior walls and found the center point as you mentioned it was a symmetrical pyramid roof shape.

I first drew it with the same 500mm roof overhang, then added the red option which would give you 2 meters clear of the exterior walls for weather and sun protection. It would also make the inside seem larger by visually incorporating the external covered space. All of the roofs conform with the existing pitches, and a bare minimum of structural changes to the roof framing. Win win.

By closing the old kitchen doorway, that closet can become quite a bit larger which will help, and the connectivity of the kitchen makes the living, dining and kitchen areas all feel bigger by extension.

AEC objects are the dynamic elements, the walls, windows, doors, etc. which are supposed to interact nicely together, and do if their dynamic attributes are operating correctly.

Dadgad:

Were you thinking "French" doors where you have indicated double doors?

That's still a lot of doors. I'd eliminate one set but keep the wider opening as it is more inviting. Take your pick.

I would lose the 2 sets of double doors going into the living room, and just have arched openings, much better.

Once you do that, close the closet door(as it would normally be & in plan view) in front of the bathroom, or go sliding on that one, then the french doors give it a touch of class, opening in, as they are entry doors.

Sure the most space efficient and cheapest way would be a big ugly sliding glass door there, which would take up no space and provide a lot of light, but none of the charm.

Edited by Dadgad

Doors can be handy to zone heating. DV hasn't mentioned which part of the UK he's in and it may be an issue. Sliding doors are also a headache to maintain and are noisy - go with the french and make sure they can fold flat when open.

Dadgad's idea to marry the new roof with the old will work far better than adding a flatroof (from rueful experience). Getting matching tiles can be a tough ask but it's not going to be visible from the street.

DV, if you can, have a look at how the roof is supported - check that the walls you are taking out do not hold up the roof in any way. Also while you are there get some actual measurements of the affected area before doing much more planning.

Who best to approach in the UK for on-the-ground assistance? Here on Oz I'd ask a builder or an architect with some design ability who can indicate the cost of their services.

Thanks guys but untill i have the keys in my hands i am only thinking ahead.

Open planning is not so big in the Uk we like to keep our heating bills down as much as we can with closed doors in the winter open as much in the summer (no air-con here ).

Flat roofs are used a lot over here we tend to use Fibreglass or Rubberbond now as it last longer then Traditional felts that were use to be used before and you get 25years guarantee unlike 5 -10 years for felt.

I still have not seen a reply to my first question of how much will it cost for building regs drawings please ?

French doors are much more classy, I agree. Sliding doors are so 60's.

Here is what I was thinking, as a rough outline. Doors show nothing more than handing and rough widths, clearly the french doors would want to be glazed and unencumbered at their center (no post). :)

maybe maybe not.jpg

playing at architecture.jpg

bungalow plan view.jpg

Thats looking good Dadgad, would it work having the end wall with the doors and the new side wall facing down the drawing all glass ? I am thinking frameless full height glass it would put a lot of light into the kitchen/dining room if that could be done, I assume it would have to be a metal frame work to support the roof ? it would be like a built in Conservatory with a solid roof would be cooler in the summer ?

A bit like the attached photo

Glass walled room.jpg

What are the ceiling heights in this house? Do they approach 3 meters? With the right construction techniques I don't see the cost of heating the rooms as being a significant obstacle to overcome. Isn't the house insulated as well? I can't see where having a double-wide opening between the kitchen and lounge would be problem heating-wise. What is the heating source?

Remark ceiling heights are about 2.4mts, and yes in the UK walls and roof are well insulated, but we dont tend to over heat rooms the kitchen wouldnt be kept the same temp as the lounge and bed rooms would be cooler as well, we have gas condensing boilers and wet radiators with TRV (temp regulating valves) so each room is heated to the right temp so doors tend to be kept shut for that reason