Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Dell P24LLH - 24" wide screen LCD
    Discipline
    See details...
    ReMark's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    CAD Draftsman/Designer...chemical manufacturing.
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    I work for a specialty chemical manufacturer. I do a little bit of everything from P&IDs to civil to architectural and structural.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Dadgad:

Were you thinking "French" doors where you have indicated double doors?

That's still a lot of doors. I'd eliminate one set but keep the wider opening as it is more inviting. Take your pick.
    "I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college." The Police

Eat brains...gain more knowledge!

I'm now a full member of the Society for the Promotion of Mediocrity in CAD. Standards? We don't need no stinkin' standards! Take whatever advice I offer and do the opposite.

Using
    AutoCAD 2013
    At the confluence of worthlessness & invaluability

Quote Originally Posted by daft vader View Post
    Dadgad that a good design, it would be easy to change,I take it the red lines would be a overhanging roof line yes? that could be good for shade in the summer as that is facing west so it's sunny in the afternoon.

BTW i do not draw plans I only ever alter existing drawings, so yes its a mess that's why I am asking for help here, I do not even know what "AEC objects" are.

Remark we do not have bedroom closets as a rule they are free standing wardrobes, if you check out the floor plan there are only 2 cupboards in the building, and even that is a lot as most modern bungalows over don't have any at all as we found out while house hunting, I just wished I lived in your counrty as I could buy a lot bigger house/bungalow over in the USA for less money then here thats for sure, only today on the tv that were showing a holiday bungalow in florida with 3 beds with unsuites and a really big lounge kitchen etc for £65,000 its me costing £165,000 for my 2 bed as it is on the plans
    Without knowing anything about your roof, except that it was pretty close to square I added a 500mm overhang from the exterior walls and found the center point as you mentioned it was a symmetrical pyramid roof shape.
    I first drew it with the same 500mm roof overhang, then added the red option which would give you 2 meters clear of the exterior walls for weather and sun protection. It would also make the inside seem larger by visually incorporating the external covered space. All of the roofs conform with the existing pitches, and a bare minimum of structural changes to the roof framing. Win win.

By closing the old kitchen doorway, that closet can become quite a bit larger which will help, and the connectivity of the kitchen makes the living, dining and kitchen areas all feel bigger by extension.

AEC objects are the dynamic elements, the walls, windows, doors, etc. which are supposed to interact nicely together, and do if their dynamic attributes are operating correctly.
    Volume and repetition do not validate opinions forged in the absence of thought.

Using
    AutoCAD 2013

Quote Originally Posted by ReMark View Post
    Dadgad:

Were you thinking "French" doors where you have indicated double doors?

That's still a lot of doors. I'd eliminate one set but keep the wider opening as it is more inviting. Take your pick.
    I would lose the 2 sets of double doors going into the living room, and just have arched openings, much better.
    Once you do that, close the closet door(as it would normally be & in plan view) in front of the bathroom, or go sliding on that one, then the french doors give it a touch of class, opening in, as they are entry doors.
    Sure the most space efficient and cheapest way would be a big ugly sliding glass door there, which would take up no space and provide a lot of light, but none of the charm.
    Last edited by Dadgad; 3rd Jun 2012 at 06:55 am.
    Volume and repetition do not validate opinions forged in the absence of thought.

Computer Details
    ReMark's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    Intel DX58SO2 LGA1366 X58
    CPU:
    Intel i7-960 Quad-core 3.20GHz 8MB cache
    RAM:
    12GB (3x4GB) PC3-106000 DDR3
    Graphics:
    nVidia Quadro K4200, 4GB GDDR5
    Primary Storage:
    150GB Velocipraptor 10,000 rpm
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Discipline
    See details...
    Occupation
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    I work for a specialty chemical manufacturer. I do a little bit of everything from P&IDs to civil to architectural and structural.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

French doors are much more classy, I agree. Sliding doors are so 60's.
    "I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college." The Police

I'm now a full member of the Society for the Promotion of Mediocrity in CAD. Standards? We don't need no stinkin' standards! Take whatever advice I offer and do the opposite.

Using
    not applicable

Doors can be handy to zone heating. DV hasn't mentioned which part of the UK he's in and it may be an issue. Sliding doors are also a headache to maintain and are noisy - go with the french and make sure they can fold flat when open.

Dadgad's idea to marry the new roof with the old will work far better than adding a flatroof (from rueful experience). Getting matching tiles can be a tough ask but it's not going to be visible from the street.

DV, if you can, have a look at how the roof is supported - check that the walls you are taking out do not hold up the roof in any way. Also while you are there get some actual measurements of the affected area before doing much more planning.

Who best to approach in the UK for on-the-ground assistance? Here on Oz I'd ask a builder or an architect with some design ability who can indicate the cost of their services.

Using
    MEP 2008

Thanks guys but untill i have the keys in my hands i am only thinking ahead.

Open planning is not so big in the Uk we like to keep our heating bills down as much as we can with closed doors in the winter open as much in the summer (no air-con here ).

Flat roofs are used a lot over here we tend to use Fibreglass or Rubberbond now as it last longer then Traditional felts that were use to be used before and you get 25years guarantee unlike 5 -10 years for felt.

I still have not seen a reply to my first question of how much will it cost for building regs drawings please ?

Using
    AutoCAD 2013

Quote Originally Posted by ReMark View Post
    French doors are much more classy, I agree. Sliding doors are so 60's.
    Here is what I was thinking, as a rough outline. Doors show nothing more than handing and rough widths, clearly the french doors would want to be glazed and unencumbered at their center (no post).
    Attached Images

Using
    MEP 2008

Thats looking good Dadgad, would it work having the end wall with the doors and the new side wall facing down the drawing all glass ? I am thinking frameless full height glass it would put a lot of light into the kitchen/dining room if that could be done, I assume it would have to be a metal frame work to support the roof ? it would be like a built in Conservatory with a solid roof would be cooler in the summer ?

A bit like the attached photo
    Attached Images

Computer Details
    ReMark's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    Intel DX58SO2 LGA1366 X58
    CPU:
    Intel i7-960 Quad-core 3.20GHz 8MB cache
    RAM:
    12GB (3x4GB) PC3-106000 DDR3
    Graphics:
    nVidia Quadro K4200, 4GB GDDR5
    Primary Storage:
    150GB Velocipraptor 10,000 rpm
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Discipline
    See details...
    Occupation
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

What are the ceiling heights in this house? Do they approach 3 meters? With the right construction techniques I don't see the cost of heating the rooms as being a significant obstacle to overcome. Isn't the house insulated as well? I can't see where having a double-wide opening between the kitchen and lounge would be problem heating-wise. What is the heating source?

Using
    MEP 2008

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Remark ceiling heights are about 2.4mts, and yes in the UK walls and roof are well insulated, but we dont tend to over heat rooms the kitchen wouldnt be kept the same temp as the lounge and bed rooms would be cooler as well, we have gas condensing boilers and wet radiators with TRV (temp regulating valves) so each room is heated to the right temp so doors tend to be kept shut for that reason